01

#TPTG01

When I was in 8th grade, I had my first debate.

"Ano ang isa sa mga dahilan kung bakit hindi umuunlad ang bansa?"

That was the fisrt question that the panel asked us.

I held my mic properly and faced the audience. "One of the reason our government. Why? Countless reasons, and one is that they are corrupt. They are anti-poor. Binubulsa lang nila ang pera ng sambayanan imbis na gamitin ito sa para palaguin ang ekonomiya. The people who are in authority are the one's who are unjust, hypocrites, and greedy. They are abusing their powers and-"

"But why do you have to blame it all on the government?"

I was interrupted by my competitor. He's also in 8th grade but he's in a different section.

"I think the main reason is us Filipinos. Kulang tayo sa disiplina. Puro tayo reklamo akala mo may naiambang. May mga nagproptotesta pa nga na ipinagbabawal ng gobyerno pero patuloy pa rin nilang ginagawa. Para saan? May nangyayari ba kung mag reklamo tayo? Imbis na magreklamo ay matuto rin tayong sumunod," he said on the microphone

I smirked and raised my brow at him. "Ano ang naimbag? Hmm...Aren't we Filipinos paying tax for the government? Sarili nating pera ang nagpapatakbo sa gobyerno pero ginagamit lang nila yun sa mga walang kwentang bagay imbis na tumulong sa mga nangangailangan. We have the right to speak up especially if they are not even doing their jobs properly. They should be held accountable. Are we just going to turn a blind eye and be a slave in our own country?"

"They are doing their jobs. We are just failing to see it because we always like to complain all the time. Marami rin silang ibang ginagawa. They know what they are doing. What we should practice is to learn respect and be submissive to the authority," he argued in a much deeper tone

"Respect? Not everyone deserves respect. Are you even aware of the police brutality in our country?"

His mouth gaped open. He suddenly glanced at the panel and the audience. Bigla siyang nanigas sa kinatatayuan.

"Police are the p-public servants of the country," he said nervously

I scoffed. "Meron bang public servants na pumapatay ng inosenteng tao?"

The question caught him off guard but he still managed to answer.

"Hindi lahat ng pulis-"

"So you are aware."

His eyes widened in shock and his lips turned pale too. He looks like a statue now. His eyes are still fixed on me but I can tell he's already panicking on the inside. Mas lalo kong nahalata ang nerbyos niya.

I remained calm while looking at him. "Why do you think they can easily kill innocent people?"

He didn't respond. Umiwas lamang siya ng tingin.

"Because the people in power allowed them to do so. They make it seem that killing is normal They are violent and brutal. Hindi nila trabahong pumatay basta basta. Instead of using their guns to protect innocent people, they kill them...mercilessly," I said. "Ironic, isn't it? Now tell me, sino ang mas kailangan ng disiplina?"

He sighed and shook his head in defeat.

It's scary to live in this country with this kind of government system. People are not safe anymore. Killings are everywhere. Maraming inosenteng tao ang namamatay at nakukulong samantalang ang mga may sala at may pera ay sila pa ang malaya. The criminal justice system is unfair.

I faced the audience again. "We shouldn't turn a blind eye. Just because they are above us doesn't mean we have no right to speak up. To voice out our concerns. Huwag natin sanang isipin na nagrereklamo lang tayo kundi ginagawa natin iyon para sa kaalaman at kaligtasan ng kalahatan. I encourage you to do the same. May kasabihan nga na kabataan ang pag-asa ng bayan."