25

#TPTG25

"Knock knock, may I come in?"

I stopped reading the cases in front of me and glanced at the door.

"Sure," I answered

Christian, my colleague, entered my office with another batch of cases in his hand. I removed my glasses and sighed in frustration.

"For you Miss Guevarra," he said and placed the thick layer of papers on my desk.

"I told you not to call me that," I said coldly and pulled the cases to me

"Oh! Right. My apologies Fey," he chuckled and sat on the corner of my desk

I glared at him and he quickly stood up, still smiling. I rolled my eyes and browsed through the cases.

"Is this all?"

"Yes, for now. You might want to check your other pending cases at the back," he said and pointed at the shelves behind my back

Lumingon ako doon na punong puno ng mga file cases at documents. Umayos ako ng upo at muling binasa ang mga kaso.

"What case are you working on?" he asked

"Homicide case of Mr. Gomez. I'm currently reading it right now."

"You're already done with the last one? Yung kay Rafael?"

I cleared my throat. "No. He still hasn't payed the bail yet. There's four involved right? Hindi umaattend yung isa sa hearing plus wala pa siyang lawyer. If he still can't attend then the judge will charge him a bench warrant which he'll get arrested and held for a bail hearing."

"And he can also be charged with the criminal offense of failure to appear," he added

I nodded. "It's still a long process," sagot ko sabay angat ng paningin sa kanya. "Do you still need anything?"

He roamed his eyes around my office and back to me. "Nope. It's almost lunch time so I'll get going."

"Thank you for this," I said and held the thick layer of papers

He smiled. "Kumain ka na rin."

"Yeah, later. Tapusin ko lang 'to."

Bumalik ako sa pagbabasa. He didn't stay long and left my office. I sighed and removed my glasses. I reclined my back on the chair and closed my eyes.

"By the way, mag-oovertime ka ba mamaya?"

I startled when the door opened again. Nakadungaw doon si Christian.

"Yes."

He gave me a small smile before closing the door. Bumalik ako sa pagkakasandal sa upuan ko.

I only read numerous amount of cases for the whole day. Some of my clients visited me on my office. It's just afternoon but I'm already tired of work. The amount of cases I have on my sleeves right now is overwhelming. I still have pending cases yet to solve. It just keeps on adding and adding up.

I rested for ten minutes before going back to work. Humikab ako at tumingin sa oras. My eyes widened when it's already past one. I still haven't eaten my lunch yet. Time flies so fast when you have tons of work to do. My stomach started to growl. I fixed my things and stood up. I then took my coat and wore my bag. Lumabas na ako ng opisina ko.

"Oh, Fey. Where are you going?" salubong sa'kin ni Pia  while holding a cup of coffee on her hand

"Lunch."

Her brows raised. "It's past lunch already. Ngayon ka palang kakain?"

I nodded. "May tinapos pa kasi ako."