29

#TPTG29

Pagkadating sa cafe kung saan kami magkikita ni Nicholas ay agad ko siyang hinanap. I immediately saw him when he raised his hand. Nilapitan ko siya agad at umupo sa harapan niya.

"What is it?" I asked

He seems tense for whatever reason. And he's also not wearing his usual police uniform. This time, he's wearing a black bomber jacket and underneath is a white shirt. May cap din siya na suot.

"They wanted to drop the case," he said sternly. "Hindi ko alam kung bakit pero ayun yung narinig ko."

"Who's they? The police?"

He nodded. "Obviously. I heard them arguing something in the office a few days ago, the day when you left the station. Wala ako sa meeting nila dahil baguhan lang ako. It's seems confidential."

Sumandal ako sa upuan habang nag-iisip ng malalim.

"So they won't investigate anymore? Hindi na nila hahanapin kung sino yung totoong suspect? And what happened to the guy that was involved? Kinulong ba nila?"

He shook his head. "Fortunately, no. Wala na rin silang plano hanapin kung sino ang totoong salarin."

"Why would they even do that?" inis kong sabi

He shrugged. "I don't know either. I just didn't understand why they tried to arrest him. He's innocent. You were right Attorney. He was definitely not the guy you were looking for."

I leaned forward and placed my arms on the table. "Then who? Do you know where we can find him?"

Ilang segundo niya akong tinitigan. Napansin ko na parang hindi siya mapakali. "I already knew from the start."

I blinked a couple of times as I stare at him. Bumaba ang mata niya sa lamesa. There was a hint of fear and worry in his eyes.

"I told you. The real suspect is part of the wanted list. Ako yung unang nakaalam kung sino siya. I immediately gave the information to the department especially the chief. Sabi nila sila na daw ang bahala. Sila na daw ang huhuli...that it's not my job anymore," paliwanag niya

I remained silent while listening to him attentively, trying to put the puzzle pieces together.

He avoided my gaze with confused expression. "Then the next day, I found out that they caught the wrong guy. Kinausap ko sila agad at tinanong pero sinabi nila sa'kin na huwag na kong makielam, manahimik nalang daw ako. They told me not to tell anybody. The day you went to the station to find out the culprit, I already knew he wasn't him. I just pretended not to know anything."

He then shut his eyes and sighed. "I shouldn't be telling you this but..."

"Hey," I called him softly. "Wala kang dapat pagsisihan."

He lifted his eyes on me. "I'm sorry I lied to you. Ayoko naman ding mapatalsik sa trabaho pero hindi na talaga kinaya ng konsensiya ko. You deserve to know it."

"What's important you told me right away. I can't even sleep thinking about it. I knew something was up."

Nowadays, it's hard to trust the police. Hindi mo alam kung sino ang may magandang motibo o hindi.

"He's still out there," I firmly said while looking outside the window behind him

"I'll find him soon. Ako nang bahala."

I felt relieved knowing that there's a person who's willing to help me. What's ironic is he's one of them.

I gulped. "Can I trust you?"