36

#TPTG36

"You ready mom?"

I glanced at her beside me. She has that worried expression written all over her face. I know that she's scared and nervous. As her daughter, I have to comfort her but as her lawyer, I have to be strong to defend her.

I held her hand. "Don't worry mom. This will be over soon."

Hindi siya sumagot. Diretso lamang ang tingin niya sa harap.

I am nervous as she is but I tried to be positive. Kailangan kong magpakatatag.

I took a deep breath as we enter the court. This is the first day for the first hearing. Everyone is all already present. There were people inside too. As I was walking, I saw the Guevarra's sitting on the front row. Tumingin ako kay mama at nakita ko siyang nakatingin sa kanila.

I squeezed her hand and gave her an assuring smile.

Binalik ko ang tingin sa kanila. Masama ang tingin nila sa'min, maslalo na kay mama. It's like they want to eat us alive. On the side, nagtama ang mata namin ng governor. He's glaring at me with a serious and cold expression. Hindi nagtagal ay umiwas din siya ng tingin.

Iginaya ko si mama sa harap at pinaupo siya sa tabi ko. I can still see them from the corner of my eyes watching us intently from yhe audience. I straightened my back and lifted my chin. Hindi na ako muling tumingin sa kanila.

Meanwhile, the prosecutors have arrived. There were three of them. Unang pumasok ay isang babae. She has this fierce and cold aura. It can make the presence of the room uncomfortable. Sunod ay isang lalaki. Pormal lamang ang itsura niya.

And finally, Keith arrived last. His side profile looks already serious. He's always been like that. Wala siyang pinapakitang emosiyon. I automatically fixed my poise when our eyes met. Hindi iyon nagtagal at umiwas din siya ng tingin.

I just checked mom beside me to check if she's alright. I didn't let go of her hand.

Binalik ko ang tingin sa harap. Nakita kong nakatingin sa'kin ang prosecutor na babae na katabi ni Keith. I don't know but there's something in her gaze that's telling me she knows me.

"All rise. The Court is now in session, the honorable Judge Brillantes presiding," the Bailiff announced

All of us stood up.

"State your name," Judge Brillantes ordered

I looked at mom beside me.

"Maria Cecilia Cervantez, Your Honor."

"You may be seated."

Lahat kami ay muling umupo.

"Do you understand all your rights Ms. Cervantez?"

"Yes, Your Honor."

Binalingan ng judge ang clerk. "Read the complaint."

The clerk stood up. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is a criminal case of homicide charged on Maria Cecelia Cervantez given on April 1, 2020 for allegedly killing Archie Fernandez II within the jurisdiction of this Honorable Court, the above named accused, Maria Cecelia Cervantez unlawfully and with evident premeditation, that is, having conceived to kill Archie Fernandez, armed with a pistol gun, shot Archie on the front portion of his body which caused his death. The incident happened inside the office of Governor Guevarra."

I slowly clenched my fist in anger. They really think that mom was capable of killing him when in fact, it's the other way around.

"Is each and every juror here willing to take an oath, the highest form of promise that a citizen can give, that they will render an impartial verdict based solely on the evidence?"