K.A.S (PART 1)

#TPTG_KEITH

When I was a kid, people gave me a nickname. They call me Keith "The Great" Sanchez.

But I always felt like I was the underdog.

Middle school was when I first met my bestfriend, Trisha. I was eight and she was seven years old.

"Hi!"

I was alone eating lunch when a girl with pigtails suddenly showed up in front of me. She was smiling from ear to ear that her eyes became barely visible. She was holding her lunchbox on both hands.

Confused, I blinked a couple of times while looking at her. "Uh, hi?"

"Can I join you here?" her voice was high pitched

"I'm sorry but-" before I can even answer, she already sat on the chair next to me. Her shoulder bumped into mine. I moved a little away from her.

"Hello! My name is Trisha. What's yours?"

"Keith."

"Nice to meet you Keith! I saw you always eating alone here that's why I approached you. Can we be friends?"

Feeling awkward by our situation, I managed to give her a small nod. Uhh, sure.."

I rarely interact with my classmates. Not that I'm a loner and no one wants to eat with me, but because I just prefer to be alone sometimes. She's the first person who approached me and befriended me.

She smiled widely showing her uneven set of teeth. "Anong baon mo?" she asked and looked at my lunchbox. She gasped. Her eyes widened in surprise. "Wow, Jollibee!"

I stared at my food that's barely touched. I was sick of eating it. I've been eating this for one week straight. I feel like I'm going to turn into a chicken soon. My mom rarely cooks for me 'cause she's always busy with work.

"Ako naman ito!" she opened her pink lunchbox and showed me her food. "Tada!"

"What's that?"

"Siningang na baboy na maraming gulay!"

I gulped while staring at her scrumptious meal. It looks tastier than mine or maybe because it's my favorite dish too. Who doesn't love sinigang anyway? Every kids love that. I wish my parents have the time to cook for me too.

"Luto ito ni papa," she giggled and began to eat. I was surprised to see her took a huge bite for a small mouth like her. I took a closer look at her. She has a round face, fair skin, chubby and rosy cheeks, long curly lashes, small nose, thin eye-brows, big eyes, and she also has a mole under her eye.

Pinanood ko lang siya habang kumakain. My stomach started to growl but I still refuse to eat my food. Perhaps I'd rather starve to death.

"Hey, bakit hindi ka pa kumakain?"

I avoided her gaze and looked at my lunch instead. "I'm not hungry."

"Bakit naman? Ayaw mo ba ng pagkain mo? Chicken joy 'yan, tatanggihan mo?"

Hindi ako nagsalita. My mouth felt awfully dry. Pakiramdam ko nanghihina ako.

"Bakit ang tahimik mo?" she asked again

"Kumain ka nalang pwede?"

She pouted and frowned. "Ang sungit mo naman."

Bumuntong hininga ako at uminom nalang ng tubig. I stared down at my lunch box and played with my food with my fork, having no appetite.

"Kung ayaw mong kumain, akin nalang 'yan."

Napatingin ako sa kanya. Her mouth was filled with so much food. Her cheeks are about to blow up. She was looking at my food, her eyes thirsty for it.