16

#TPTG16

"Fey, 'di ba governor yung papa mo?"

I looked at Julia who's eating a bag of chips beside me. Nakataas pa ang paa niya sa sofa.

I nodded while scanning through my paperworks. "Yeah."

"What's he like?"

I was caught off guard by her sudden question. Tumigil ako sa pagbabasa at tumingin sa tv.

"I...I don't really know."

"Huh?"

I glanced at her. "It's complicated."

Her brows furrowed but there's a amused grin on her lips. "What's so complicated about it?"

"As a father or as a governor?"

We were watching tv and we saw my father appeared on the screen. It was the day of the election. He was waving on the crowd while smiling brightly. He even reached for the audience and shook hands with them.

"Both," she replied

"The way you see him on television is not exactly the same in real life."

I heard her munch the chips on her mouth. "Then what is he like?"

I don't why I wasn't able to answer her simple question.

She chuckled softly. "I understand what you mean. And it's true. Some politicians nowadays only show their good side on the media. They try to earn people's trust. Tayo naman, nagtiwala agad. We vote for them and when they won and earned their spot, they end up betraying the public's trust."

My eyes were fixed on the TV. I saw my father helping the poor by giving them donations. May truck pa na naglalaman ng mga box of donations na may pangalan niya.

"It's funny because some of them think that helping is a competition well in fact, it's their job. They don't need to brag about it," she stated

"They only help them if they need something from the people. But when the people needs them, they neglect them," I said

"I know, especially the oppressed. They suffer a lot 'cause of the incompetency and negligence of the government," she remarked. "How do even know who we trust?"

I sighed. "I don't know either."

My gaze lowered down on the yellowpad I'm holding that's filled with notes.

"That's why I'm asking you about your father. Is he a good man or one of them that..." she paused. "Oh, shit! Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or talk ill of your father. Sorry talaga. Eto kasing bibig ko, pasmado."

I smiled weakly. "It's fine."

She chuckled awkwardly. She took the remote and switched to a different channel.

"Uh...break ka muna tayo Fey. Gusto mo mag-merienda?" she offered and went to the kitchen. "May pandesal kami."

I smiled. "Sure."

She looked at me wide eyed while holding the plastic of bread and spread. Tumayo na ako at nilapitan siya. I sat on the kitchen stool.

"Dapat kasi sa bahay niyo nalang tayo nag-aral o kaya sana nag-order tayo ng pagkain. Nakakahiya," she pouted

I took the sandwhich spread and put a small amount on the bread before eating it. "I hate it there."

She got a glass and poured juice in it. Pagkatapos ay binigay sa'kin. "Why?"

"It's a long story."

She pursed her lips and nodded. "I respect your privacy."

I smiled and took another bite. I caught her watching me. "Why?" I asked as I wipe the spread off the side of my mouth. "May dumi ba?"