Chapter 49

They exited the elevator, and I smiled and nodded at them before trying to walk around them. One of the men stepped in front of me, making me look up at him, taking a step back. 

"Miss, this floor is restricted. Who gave you access to this floor?" The man with the dark brown hair who wasn't blocking my way asked, narrowing his eyes. I put on my innocent face and smiled. 

"I was told to meet a Mr. Gunther here for a meeting, but he doesn't seem to have an office on this floor. Would you be able to direct me in the correct direction?" I asked sweetly, opening up my folder. They peered at the papers that had the information of a fake Mr. Gunther. 

"It looked like he's with logistics. That would be on the lower floors, ma'am, floor ten." The there man with dirty blonde hair explained to me, his features softening. I pressed a hand to my chest, feigning shock. 

"Oh my goodness, I don't understand how the two floors were mixed up. I'm so sorry, thank you so much for helping me out." I smiled and pressed the button for the elevator. I heard their footsteps as they walked away, and I tapped my foot anxiously. I wasn't sure how long they would buy that story, so I needed to get out of here now. 

"Scarlett, are you clear?" Killian's voice came through the earpiece, but I didn't say a word. I couldn't risk it. "Scarlett?"

The elevator doors opened right as one of the men spoke again. 

"Hey miss, we just have one more question."

I didn't wait for them to ask, and I walked calmly into the elevator, pretending I didn't hear them.

"Miss!"

 I turned around and quickly pressed the down button as the men ran toward me. The doors closed, and I let out an anxious breath. "Killian, I'm in the elevator, but I believe the two men are going to be after me and alerting others. Where can I go?" I asked him. My heart was racing, and I was starting to sweat from nerves. 

"Give me a second." There was typing in the background, and I tried my best not to rush him. "Okay, got it. Get to the third floor. There should be an exit to your left as soon as you leave the elevator, and it'll lead to the side of the building. Hurry! I see men going toward the stairs and elevator."

I mashed the button that had the three on it and tapped my fingers on the side of my leg, willing the elevator to go faster. Once the three appeared at the top, the doors opened, and I wasted no time exiting the elevator. Killian was right about there being an exit, and I kept my head down as I sped walk toward it. 

"Hey!" Someone yelled out, and I started running. Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I picked up speed, and I slammed my hands on the handle, pushing the door open. I was now outside, and I didn't stop to look around. I found my way around the building, and I could see the car up ahead. The heels on my feet were biting into my skin, but I didn't slow down. I had no time. 

"Scarlett! What's your location?" Killian yelled in my ear, and I cringed before yanking the car door open. I threw myself in, slamming the door shut. 

"Go! Go! Go!" I yelled, and Killian slammed on the gas. I hurried and buckled before looking back. There were three men on the sidewalk, one of them with something black up to his mouth. Probably a walkie. I kicked off the heels, wiggling my toes to help stretch them out.

"Are you okay?" Killian asked when we were a reasonable distance away from the building. I nodded, a smile appearing on my face. 

"I am better than okay. I ran away from those men in heels! I didn't even have time to take them off." I laughed and leaned back into the seat, playing back what happened in my head.