Chapter 23

The next few weeks were torture for me. Killian gave me a few answers about Dilan, telling me that he had a list of people that he was going after that were part of this group that ruined his life. He wasn't specific at all, that was literally all he told me. Whenever I would ask him for more information and details, he would just deflect. This wasn't what I expected when I took this deal. I didn't like waiting for answers when that was the thing that was supposed to redeem him. But for now, the information he gave me was enough for me to trust him, for now.

Carrow has been trying to get in touch with me and also trying to talk to me in class and after class, and I've just been avoiding him and brushing him off. I didn't want anything to do with him anymore and I regretted even involving him in the first place now that I knew some of the truth. I don't know what I was thinking when making that decision.

 He has stopped trying to talk to me now and I really hoped he was done. I had enough to stress about as it is and didn't need anything else piled on top of that. I wasn't worried about him going to the authorities because he didn't have any evidence at all and I would deny everything. 

As for where Dilan was, I have no idea where Killian is keeping her. I searched the entire house, every crack and crevice, but I couldn't find her anywhere. I didn't plan to stop though, Killian wasn't telling me everything so I would need all the information I could get myself. I trusted him enough to believe him, but I needed more. 

"Did you hear what I said?"

I looked up at Killian, blinking at him. 

"What? Sorry, I was...thinking." I didn't hear a word he said because I was deep in thought. I was at his house, standing in the kitchen and he just walked in, shirtless. That should be a crime. He pressed his lips together and shook his head.

"I said, you need to start grading the papers. You promised me that you would spend the day grading them because you are behind." he reminded me and I rolled my eyes. I really wish I didn't, I was in no mood to grade papers right now.

"Can I save it for later? I really don't feel like it right now. I want to talk more, I deserve more answers." I crossed me arms and he smirked. 

"We have nothing more to talk about at the moment, and I'm still your professor. So you have to listen to me."

"You're not going to fail me, so that doesn't even scare me." I grinned at his facial expression. He took a few steps toward me until he was directly in my face and he tilted his head. I kept my eyes on his.

"Try me." The words came out of his mouth like a threat and it actually made me pause. I may not care about school and though it was easy for me, I couldn't afford to fail. I huffed and turned to the dining room table.

"Fine." I sat down at the table and spread my hands over the large stacks of paper. He went to the living room and sat down, pulling out his laptop and started clicking away. My eyes traveled over his bare skin. He did that on purpose, he knew what he was doing.  I asked him to wear a shirt at all times as a condition of the partnership because it would make it easier for me. He told me no deal and now he continued to tempt me. 

I focused back on the papers, well, at least I tried to. Enough for me to get through them. The sun was setting and my hand was now starting to cramp from how long I was grading the papers, so I decided to take a break. I stood up, stretching and hearing my bones pop from how long I was sitting. It was getting hotter with the hoodie I had on, so I pulled it off, revealing the black spaghetti strap tank top I was wearing. I kept my sweatpants on though and I was slightly cooler now. 

"Killian, I'm taking a break now. My fingers are starting to cramp." I spoke, stretching again. He slowly looked up at me and then at the papers. 

"I need you to finish them tonight." he said simply, turning his attention back to his laptop.

"It will be done tonight, I just need a break. That's something I can actually do right? Or am I your prisoner, like Dilan?" 

He sucked in air and slammed his laptop shut, standing up. "Fine." He brushed past me and he walked toward the stairs. I followed him up the stairs, smiling when he paused.

"Why are you following me?"

"I'm bored, and I need to be active anyway from all of that sitting." I responded to him as we made it into his room. 

"Well sorry to disappoint, but I won't be able to entertain you. I need to take a shower."  He walked toward his bed and I pursed my lips. I slowly walked toward him as he grabbed the shirt that was laying on top of his sheets.

"A shower you say? You need help with that?" I kept my voice low and husky. I stood directly behind him, taking in the dimples in his bare back, the way his muscles bunched at every movement. The way his tattoo curled up his arm and to his neck. I reached out a hand to trace his tattoo but froze when he glanced over his shoulder, locking eyes with me. A smirk grew on his face and he shook his head, chuckling.

"Eh, I think I can manage, but thank you for the offer." Killian turned around and faced me fully, glancing at my chest before looking at my eyes. I shrugged.

"Just trying to be a good friend, that's all." 

He raised his brows and tilted his head, passing his tongue over his bottom lip. I followed the motion and he took a step forward, closer to me.

"A good friend huh?" His voice was low and eyes roamed my body. Goosebumps peppered my arms under his intense gaze and I just wanted to touch him. Our agreement was in the back of my mind, stopping me from making a move, so I just stood there. The tension was thick around us and I tried to keep my breathing even and my mind off of all the things I imagined doing to him, the things he could do to my body. The things I would let him do.

He just stood there, unmoving as well. His eyes darkened the longer he stared at me and he took another step, only a breath away. I glanced at his lips and the agreement went out of my head. I pressed my hand to his chest and he inhaled, grabbing my arm. He pulled me into his chest and dipped his head down, when the lights flickered, then turned off completely.

I froze.