Chapter 38

The entire time Row rubbed the sunscreen on my back and shoulders, I thought about Killian. How rough his hands would feel on my soft skin if he was lathering the lotion on my body. How close his face would be to mine, breath caressing my heated cheek. I blinked a bunch of times to get out of the daydream and stood up abruptly, tying my bathing suit back around my neck. 

"Thank you for helping me out, I should be good now." I gave Row a smile as I dismissed him and he stood up, eyes traveling the length of my body before locking eyes with me.

"It was my pleasure," he responded before giving me a nod and walked back to the house, leaving me alone outside again. I blew out a breath and looked around, no longer interested in swimming. I felt weird inside thinking about how Killian was gone and putting himself in danger, so I wanted to distract myself. Heading back inside, I went to my room and dressed in comfy sweats and a long black t-shirt. As I left the room, I spotted the door that led to the creepy basement part of the house.

"Don't do it Scar," I mumbled to myself as I walked past it. I paused and walked backward, standing directly in front of it. What if the Khaos guy was there and tried to chase me again? Maybe he wouldn't since now he knows who I am? I debated in my head, fingers clutching the hem of my shirt. I really wanted to know what was down there and this was a perfect time since Killian wasn't here to stop me. Glancing over my shoulder, I made sure no one was around before opening it. When I was on the other side, I closed the door softly, careful not to lock myself down here. The old light was on, which helped me see my way as I walked down the stairs slowly. 

There was no sound down here besides my breathing, but I still crept down as quietly as I could. Once I reached the bottom of the stairs, I peeked around the corner to see if Khaos was there. I didn't see him or anyone else, so I walked from the corner and on the path to the area I saw the first time I was down here. The doors all looked the same and when I reached the area with the desk, it was empty. It didn't look like Khaos was here. 

"What is this place?" I whispered to myself, picking up the keys that were hanging from a metal circle. 

"Who's there? Hello?" A voice called out and I jumped, whipping around to see where the voice came from. I didn't see anyone and walked slowly away from the table, my heart thundering in my chest. 

"Hello?" I called out hesitantly, not sure if I was hearing things or not.

"In here! Help me!" The voice spoke up again, but this time with urgency. It was coming from one of the doors. "I'm here behind the third door!" 

I heard shackles move around the third door to my left from where I was standing and I rushed to it, knocking once. "Are you in here?" I asked, my heart pounding in my ears. What the hell am I doing? 

"Yes, yes! Open it, please! You have to help me!" It sounded like a woman behind the door and I fumbled with the keys, trying out different ones until I got the right one, opening the heavy door. I gasped when I recognized the woman standing in front of me.

"Dilan? Oh my god! This is where he put you?" I took in the shackles wrapped firmly around her wrists and ankles, with enough slack for her to move around. The room she was in wasn't very spacious, and dirt caked every inch of the room. 

"Yes! Killian said he would kill me the next time he saw me! He's a dangerous man, you have to let me out. Use one of the keys in your hand to take these chains off of me." She told me and smiled at me, bringing attention to her teeth. It was a huge contrast to the dirt on her face, body, and clothes. I hesitated as she reached out a hand, beckoning at me. She looked so innocent standing there, yet something was off. Killian told me all about the people he was after, which meant Dilan wasn't one of the good guys. But then again, what if Killian was lying to me? It wasn't like we really established a true bond of trust to where he felt he couldn't lie to me.

"Um," I took a step forward, still indecisive, but I didn't get a chance to get my thoughts in order before Dilan lunged at me, punching me hard in the face. The pain in my left cheek stunned me and I stumbled, trying to reorient myself. Chains rattled and one wrapped around my throat before I had the chance to escape. My hands flew to my throat, dropping the keys as I clawed at the thick chain.

"You looked like you couldn't make a decision, so I'm helping you out. I'm going to make your death short and sweet. Trust me, you'll thank me later. Or not." Dilan growled in my ear as she tightened the chain. The thick metal was biting into my skin and I gasped, trying to get air back in my system, but failing. My lungs were crying out for air and my throat started tightening, no longer able to move. Dark spots dotted my vision as I began to lose consciousness. This was it. I was going to die a meaningless death. My eyes closed right as something whizzed by my head. There was a grunt behind me and the chain loosened, creating space for my airway. I gasped for air as I collapsed, darkness dotting my vision before I completely passed out. 

***

I shot up, gasping, my hands flying to my throat. I whimpered as my neck throbbed in pain from the contact and my left cheek throbbed just as painfully. I had a huge headache and my throat was beyond dry. 

"Hey, hey. Be careful. Drink this." A water bottle was held out for me and I looked up to see Row holding it, a worried look on his face. I glanced around slowly to see that I was in the living room, on one of the couches. I grabbed the water bottle from his hand and chugged all of the water, even though swallowing hurt so badly I wanted to cry.

"I'm going to wipe your face from the blood, is that okay?" Cleo spoke and I nodded, not wanting to speak aloud. The pain that throbbed in my neck and head made me fatigued and I just wanted to sleep. I should've listened to Killian. I didn't want to truly believe that Dilan was a bad person. I never suspected her being anything other than sweet. And a cheater, but sweet nonetheless. 

"Where's Dilan now?" I asked, not remembering what happened to her.

"I killed her," Cleo answered, finally done with cleaning my face. Why was I not surprised. I turned my head slowly, staring at her. 

"How did you guys find me?"

"The door was opened, so we guessed you went down there and we just happened to be there at the right time." Row answered this time and I nodded, hissing as even that small action ignited pain in my throat. I didn't want to stay down here. 

"I want to take a nap. I'm going to my room. Thank you for your help." I got up from the couch slowly, holding an arm out to steady myself. I felt like I was going to pass out right here and now and I wanted to succumb to it, but I also wanted to be comfortable at least. They both nodded at me and I walked away, straight to my room. When I entered the familiar space, I let out a sigh of relief. I collapsed on the bed, a few stray tears leaving my eyes involuntarily as pain overtook me. I didn't even want to see what I looked like. I knew I looked like death because that's exactly how I felt.