Chapter 18

I rolled my eyes at him, making sure I was still hidden from Killian. Carrow better keep his mouth shut and not call me out. This was not the time.

I peeked around the tall guy in front of me, watching Killian as he placed his bag on top of the desk, taking out the text book and a notebook. He still didn't look up from his desk which gave me time to continue staring at him though narrowed eyes. He finally had everything in place and when he looked up, I slumped down lower in my seat, aligning myself with the tall guy so I wouldn't be seen. 

"Alright class, did everyone get the reading done that I assigned the last time we met?" Killian asked the class and I looked around as my classmates muttered 'yes'. Carrow shrugged his shoulders at me and smiled suspiciously. 

"Great, because we will be having a pop quiz on it right now. Make sure everything is cleared from your desk and have a pencil or pen ready. I will come around with the quiz in a moment."

A quiz? What reading was supposed to get done? He's never done this before, he never gave out pop quizzes. I turned to Carrow.

"Pst. What was the reading on? Is it something we've gone over before?" I whispered to him, hoping to get as much information as I could before Killian started passing out the quizzes. Carrow rolled his eyes and leaned my way.

"No it's nothing we've talked about before. It's not even in the curriculum. He wanted us to read about this thriller with the most compelling storyline, that also had the best way to get away with murder." 

I froze. 

The best way to get away with murder? Is he trying to cover his tracks somehow? Make me look crazy? My eyes were wild as I stared at Carrow, trying to think of the different ways he could cover his ass. 

"What book was it?" I asked him quickly, trying to get the answer before Killian came my way. He was in the front passing out the quizzes and his brow raised when he noticed the empty seat in the front where I usually sat. Carrow looked like he was about to answer, but he sat up straight in his chair, staring in front of him. What- I turned and sank in my seat when I saw Killian walking down our aisle. My heart was pattering against my chest and it was getting harder to breathe the closer he came.

I could smell his cologne from where I was sitting that's how close he was. The smell brought back delicious memories that I had to force down. Now was not the time and I had to remind myself that he was a kidnapper and potential killer. None of these feelings can be here anymore. Not for him.

I was staring at the desk I was sitting at, hoping that he would just glaze over me and I would be free. I was not lucky. A sheet of paper was placed on my desk. The hand that placed it there stayed on top of it, making me stare at clean and manicured tan fingers. The hand didn't move. Maybe if I stared at it long enough it would.

That didn't work.

A throat cleared and I finally, slowly looked up, green orbs locking me in place. Killian's eyes were hard and accusing. I didn't do anything to warrant that look so I didn't know why he was staring at me that way. I sat up in my chair, giving him the same look he was giving me. Two can play at that game. He actually did something to warrant this look. 

"You weren't here for the last class. Meet me in my office." 

I haven't heard his voice in a while and hearing it made me grip the edge of my desk. 

"No."

My response was so quiet, I was surprised that he actually heard me. He cocked his head at me, brows raised slightly. He stood up straight and looked around the quiet room before leaning back down, both hands on my desk in front of me.