Chapter 26

A/N: Just wanted to pop in and say thank you to AJccPe for the Carrow idea! I was definitely going to go in this direction with his character, and this idea solidified it. 

Happy Reading! xx

-K

"My parents were murdered. I don't know why. I'm still trying to figure that part out, but I found out who gave the order for them to be killed. It was a group called The Iudices. It's Latin for judges, and they take it upon themselves to judge and murder anyone they see fit. You would think an organization that names themselves the judges would be filled with people who help others. But it's not. Not many people know about them, and I'm trying to find their headquarters to figure out who their leader is so that I can kill him myself. I have a friend who was able to track down a list of members, and I've been capturing them for information. Is that enough for you to trust me now?" Killian just dumped a shit load of information on me, and I couldn't do anything else but sit there with my mouth agape. 

Secret organizations, killers, dead parents...who was this guy? He glanced at me, and his green eyes filled with an emotion that I couldn't decipher.

"What do you do to the members after you get the information you want? Or even if you don't get anything at all?" I asked him softly, and he let out a humorless chuckle, eyes focused on the road.

"Scarlett, you know what I do to them. I don't even know why you asked." 

I let out a breath and tried to process everything. I did trust him. I would need to get used to hearing him talk like that. Of course, I knew the answer to my question. I just wanted to hear him confirm it.

"So this friend of yours is giving you their personal information, so you can hunt them down to kill them? Is that why you're posing as a professor?" 

"Basically. My friend tracks them down, and I find a way to infiltrate their lives, not directly, but close enough to have weekly contact with them. So yes, this time being a professor worked in my favor." he explained to me calmly. I mulled over what he just told me. That...was actually smart, and I knew I shouldn't even be considering thinking of aligning myself with him and should definitely report him to the authorities. But I wanted to know more. He didn't feel dangerous to me. 

"So, how long will this go on for? Will you even be done with this revenge?"

"Will my parents even come back from the dead?" he asked me bluntly, and my mouth dropped. That was the last thing I expected to come out of his mouth. He glanced at me and nodded when he saw my reaction. "Exactly. I won't be done until everyone responsible is dead. Then maybe, just maybe I'll be done." 

I scoffed at him. Who else would he go after if everyone responsible for his parent's death were dead? I didn't even want to know the answer. Not right now. 

"You're insane," I muttered under my breath, facing forward. The car ride was silent for the rest of the way after his revelation. This would've been a perfect time to pull out my journal and write everything down. I've never met anyone like this man before, and I felt a little guilty for being intrigued, finding him fascinating. I looked up at him, and his brow was furrowed as he concentrated on the road. He was focused, yet it looked like he was in deep thought at the same time. 

We were almost to the campus, based on the landmarks, which meant I would be able to rant soon in my journal. We arrived at the campus, and I quickly unbuckled.  

"Hurry up and get what you need. Keep it small because we're going to need to move quickly." Killian rushed out before I opened the door. I think I gave him a grunt or quick okay as a response, but honestly, I didn't remember. I just know I rushed out of the car and went straight to the dorm. I ran into the building and went to my dorm room. When I entered, I automatically started stuffing clothes into a large duffel bag. I put my journal in there and many pens because I doubted Killian had any spare ones lying around. Once the bag was full, I turned to leave but gasped when someone blocked the door. 

"Carrow! What are you doing here?" I put a hand over my chest to calm it down. It was late at night. Why was he at my dorm? He walked in, eyes flitting to my duffel bag. I moved it behind my back.

"Where are you going?" he glanced down again, tilting his head.

"I don't have time to talk. I need to leave. Just text me or something." I told him and tried to leave, but he moved in my way, blocking me. I scoffed at how bold he was right now.

"I just came here to tell you to watch out for Professor Arnault. I found out some information about him last night and wanted to warn you." He looked anxious and was bouncing on his feet, fiddling with his thumbs.

"Thanks, now excuse me." I walked forward again, and he held his arms up, stopping me. "Carrow, if you get in my way one more time, I will punch you."

 His eyes widened. "Okay, but listen, Scarlett. The information on him is serious, and I don't think you understand. Professor Arnault is a gun for hire. Do you know what that means? He kills people. He's a killer!" He lowered his voice as he finished his statement, and I widened my eyes at his words.

 How did he even have access to that information? I opened my mouth to defend Killian but closed it when he walked up behind Carrow, eyes narrowed.

"It's time for you to leave now, Carrow." Killian's voice was deep and serious, and Carrow jumped when he spoke, whirling around.

"You. I'm not leaving you with her. She deserves the truth." Carrow hissed at him, hands curling into fists. I pursed my lips. He did have a point, though I did get the truth finally. Killian chuckled darkly and drummed his fingers on the side of his leg. He took a step forward to get in the room, and Carrow stepped back, shoving something in Killian's face. I gasped, dropping my duffel bag.

"Carrow put the gun down," I spoke calmly though my heart was pounding in my ears. The gun was directly in Killian's face, and he didn't flinch or anything. But he did look pissed.

"Take a step back before I blow your brains out." Carrow pointed the gun behind Killian before pointing it back in his face. Killian walked forward, pressing his forehead into the barrel of the gun, glaring at Carrow. I held in a gasp, biting my lip, not knowing what to do.

"Carrow, please! Put the gun down and I'll explain everything to you, please!" I pleaded with him, hoping my words worked on him. There was nothing else I could do, if I tried to take the gun away, who knows what more damage I would inflict. Especially since I had no idea how to use a gun.

"Shutup, Letty, this is between Professor Arnault and me."

"Scarlett. Get him to lower his weapon before I kill him." Killian growled at me, and I opened my mouth, not knowing what to say or do. I looked at Carrow, who was focused on Killian.

"Carrow, pleas-"

He let out a frustrated yell and turned around, pointing the gun at me. I gasped, and before I could do anything, a shot was fired, and I screamed, jumping back. Carrow dropped to the ground, and I caught my breath as I watched the blood pool around his head.