Chapter 54

Before I could respond to the shocking details he just told me, my mom and Chase made it to the table. 

"Hello! Welcome to our home! So sorry for the wait. I was just on a quick business call. You must be the husband. I'm Chase." Chase introduced himself to Killian and held out his hand. Killian surprisingly reached out and shook his hand, a smile on his face.

"It's nice to meet you, Chase. I'm Killian." He sat back down, and Chase and my mom sat across from us. A man and woman came from the kitchen with trays of food and placed them in front of us.

"So, we didn't even know Scarlett was dating anyone, much less now married. That was a little shock. How did you guys meet?" My mom asked Killian while looking at me suspiciously. Of course, she wouldn't believe that we were actually married. I mean, we weren't, but still. She could at least try to be happy for me. 

"Well, it was actually at the college she attended. I was there for a lecture, and she stayed behind with questions, and we just connected. The rest is history." Killian told them the false story, and I was actually impressed that it sounded real. He glanced at me with a smile, and I smiled back. Chase nodded, chewing his food. 

"That's awesome. What were you doing a lecture on, if you don't mind me asking." Chase looked genuinely interested.

"I don't mind at all." Killian began to tell him about his creative writing endeavors, and I didn't pay much attention to the conversation. I was too busy thinking about what Killian told me. Chase was Hunter Emmons? The target we were after? There was no way. I looked at him, trying to see an evil man, but couldn't. Yes, he fit the target's description, and maybe he worked at the building, but there was no way. Plus, I didn't even think his name was Hunter, and his last name certainly wasn't Emmons. It was Jones.

I was so confused and wanted more information. I couldn't sit through this entire dinner without answers. I got up abruptly and raised my hand when they all looked at me. 

"Apologies, I need to use the restroom. I'll be back in a moment." I gave them a short smile before leaning down. "Meet me there," I whispered and started walking in the direction of the bathroom. I heard Killian excuse himself, and I walked slower so that he could see where I was going. When I reached the guest bathroom, I left the door open and waited for him to join me. He entered swiftly and closed the door behind him. I reached around him and locked it. 

"What the fuck was that? What do you mean Chase is actually Hunter Emmons?" I got straight to the point. Killian passed a hand down his face, huffing. 

"That man out there is our target. I remember him from the last time we were after him. I knew there was something familiar about this house, but I was never on the inside, so it didn't click. But I wouldn't forget a face like his. He is the reason why my family is dead, and it's taking everything in me right now not to strangle him with my bare hands." Killian hissed, his handsome features morphed into a type of anger I'd never seen on his face before.

"Hey," I stepped closer to him, placing my hand on his face. "If he is indeed Hunter, I will help you take him down. But we won't get any answers if we kill him. I have some of my own too, now. Just try to get through this night just like me, and then we can start planning, okay?" I searched his face and locked eyes with his pained ones. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply before grabbing my hand on his face and kissing my palm. 

"Fine." His jaw clenched as he tried to calm down, and I placed my other hand on his face, the short, freshly shaven hair prickling my skin. He brought his hands to my waist and pulled me closer to his body. His touch alone was enough to ignite my body, especially when his hands slid over the globes of my ass. We just stood there staring at each other, heat in both of our gazes, but neither of us made a move.