Chapter 55

It didn't take a lot of effort to convince them that we were actually using the bathroom because they were so engrossed in their own conversation, they didn't realize the amount of time that passed. The food was pretty good, but I was too uncomfortable to even register what I was eating. Killian had a great poker face and was having a nice conversation with my mom and Chase. Or Hunter? I don't even know at this point. I stayed quiet for most of the evening, letting Killian handle all the talking. I didn't care to be here in the first place, and I was also looking at Chase to see what about him could be evil. Like how could he be evil? I've known him since I was eighteen, and he was always a sweetheart. He was the one that always wanted to stay in touch and make sure that I was taken care of. I just couldn't believe it. I needed more evidence. Maybe Killian got it wrong.

"Babe?" Killian passed a hand in front of my face, and I blinked, getting out of my thoughts. They were all staring at me. 

"I'm sorry, did you say something?" I asked, pretending to be interested. 

"Your mom said that she wanted to ask you a question." Killian gestured to my mom and gave me a look, but I ignored it, a frown immediately forming on my face. 

"What, mom?" I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes. She pressed her lips together and stood up. 

"I want to speak with you in private if you don't mind," she asked politely, gesturing behind her. I rolled my eyes this time. 

"If you don't mind," I scoffed at her words. "How polite of you, mom, only in front of my husband, though, right?" I shook my head but stood up anyway, walking around the table and past her into the kitchen. I waited for her and narrowed my eyes when she walked in.

"Scarlett, you could at least try to be a little nicer to me." she started, and I waved my hand in the air, dismissing her words.

"What do you want?" I asked, wanting her to get to the point. She pressed her lips together and shook her head.

"I just want to know why you're parading this man around like he's actually your husband." 

I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest. Of course, she would be the biggest skeptic, not that she was wrong, but she literally couldn't even fake and try to be happy for her own daughter. 

"He is actually my husband. It's sad that you have to find holes in everything I say, in every part of my life. Can't you just be happy for the fact that I'm happy?" I didn't even know why I was trying to reason with her, but I just didn't understand. 

"Sweetie, you're too young to be settling down and getting married. How old is this man anyway? He looks significantly older than you." My mom raised a brow, and I pressed my lips together in annoyance. 

"He's not that much older than me. He's just thirty-one. That's only nine years apart. Your age gap with dad was larger than that. Now, if you don't haven't anything of importance to say to me, get out of my way." 

She sighed and stepped to the side, clearing the space for me. I glared at her as I walked out of the kitchen, and the glare stayed on my face until I entered the dining room. Killian and Chase were talking with each other and laughed at something Chase said as I got closer to the table. Killian looked up at me with a smile on his face, but it dropped when he saw my face. 

"You okay?" He kept his voice low as he asked the question when I sat back down in my chair. 

"We're leaving. Thanks for having us, Chase, but I can't stay here while that bitch questions my marriage. Have a nice night." I grabbed my purse and got back up, walking around the table, and paused for Killian as he stood up. He said goodnight and walked my way, grabbing my hand before we turned the corner. We were silent as we left the house and the entire way back to ours. I didn't want to talk anyway. My mom ruined the night, as I expected, but it still pissed me off. She was never going to change.