Chapter 81

"Why?" That was the question I had for Chase. I didn't have anything else to add with that word. Just why. He was sitting in his cell, the biggest one, so that multiple people could fit in here. His breathing was harsh, his nose still swollen, but so was one of his eyes, and his lip was busted. His wrists were tied to the chair, and two of his fingers, on one hand, were swollen. They didn't look broken, but Killian probably had his fun with them, bruising them. I didn't care to hit him, make him feel pain. I just wanted to get some answers. 

He looked up at me with his one good eye, squinting at me. There wasn't a goofy smirk on his face or a condescending smile. His face was straight, like all of the jokes were out of his system. 

"Why. Such an open-ended question. I assume you did that on purpose? You're a smart girl." Chase started speaking after a minute of silence and staring. He chuckled, shaking his head. "What pops in my mind with that question is why my family? Why are you doing what you're doing? Why won't you give up Archer's location? I'll answer all of them for you if you get me some water." He cleared his throat, wincing at the action. My eyes went to his throat, and I saw that there were bruises on them, a handprint clearly outlined on his skin. I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to see if he was trying to pull a fast one on me. He seemed to be telling the truth, so I left the cell and got him a cup of water. When I came back, his eye lit up when he saw the cup in my hand. I held it out to him but then held it back to my chest. 

"Give me an answer to one of the questions first, and then I'll give you some water." I raised a brow at him, and he sighed, looking down before looking back up at me. 

"I chose you and your mom because of the situation you guys were in. A widower with an adult daughter was a perfect ruse. I didn't have to take care of you. I could have time with just your mother without prying eyes and no one else to question my motives or finances. It was just perfect. Now give me the damn water. Please." He added the last word when I narrowed my eyes at him. His answer was acceptable enough for me and not at all what I was expecting, so he deserved this gulp. I placed the cup at his mouth, and he leaned his head back, gulping the water I poured into his mouth. I pulled it away, not wanting him to get all of it just yet. 

"Next question." I took a step back, gesturing at him. 

"I was born into this business. My parents were guns for hire, so they taught me everything I know. I didn't know any other way to live, and I still don't. Killing people and hiring people to kill is my life. And it's not going to stop until someone puts a bullet in my head or blows me up to bits." He chuckled at his own words, and I scrunched up my face. That was specific. I gave him more water. I gestured for him to continue after he had a good gulp. 

"I won't be giving up Archer's location no matter how much you or your little boyfriend torture me. Archer is like a brother to me, has saved my life more times than I can count, and has had my back for years. If you were looking for me to be a rat, you won't find it in me." He looked smug, like he won something. "Archer's trust in me is deep, and knows that I wouldn't ever rat on him."

"Congrats on being that confident. But everyone speaks after some intense prodding." I smiled at him, and he smiled back, throwing me off. 

"Let me ask you a question now, Scarlett." 

I narrowed my eyes, not liking the way he said my name. He said it like he knew something I didn't. "What is your question?" 

His eyes searched mine before speaking. "Do you believe Killian trusts you?" 

"Yes, I believe he does. Why?" 

"What about you? Do you trust Killian?" he asked me, tilting his head. There was a glint in his eyes that I didn't like.