Chapter Forty-five

Little Blue Fleeing Hood

"Ah damnit, what shit luck is this!"

Deep within the wild forestlands, that sudden muttered curse sounded from underneath a fallen large tree trunk. It was Shawn hiding within the gnarled uprooted roots. From time to time, his fretful eyes would peek up and make one wonder what he was adamantly hiding from. Just then...

Scree! Scree!

Those were the blaring cries resonating up in the skies, and soon to be followed by heavy flapping sounds. From nowhere, something gigantic whooshed overhead and cast a daunting large shadow. It was a shockingly massive brown bird hovering above the trees!

The monstrous bird resembled a mixed breed between an eagle and a raven. Each flap of those broad feathery wings brought along powerful gusts of wind that almost uprooted the trees. The bird was keenly searching with its big yellow eyes for its prey down below, which so happened to be Shawn. How the poor boy became target to this scary and yet remarkable bird of prey, started just a few hours after dawn...

*******

It was extremely chilly and foggy that early morning. The rich scent of wet mud permeated the air since it had rained heavily the previous night. The strange chirps and cries of birds could be heard here and there, waking up the savage wild to another new survival day.

At this time, not so far away from one massive river, a brown leather tent could be spotted pitched on a patch of leveled grassy area. Shawn had sheltered inside. He had knowledgeably put up the tent not so near the riverbank in case of a flash flood, and also not too far away to lose his directions. Besides, it was the only relatively flat area considering the uneven rocky place.

Surviving through the cold rainy night wasn't an issue. He possessed the Eternal Flames which gave him the needed warmth. After applying the deterrence potion, he needed not worry about being ambushed by wandering wild beasts. So, his night was a peaceful one, more or less. Still, that didn't put him at ease considering how peril the forest was. Complacency in these savage lands could be deadly.

The birds were the boy's morning alarm. His journey was almost at its end. So far, with his utmost carefulness and the watchful help of the copycat, no fatal accidents had happened. In case he ever came across the few wild beasts and predatory plants by accident, he would use his blazing flames to scare them away.

When Shawn crawled out of the tent, he was greeted by one excruciating cold. Although the area was yet to snow, the frosty weather still ran rampant. Gazing towards the north, a relieved sigh escaped his lips at the distant sight of a triple peak mountain.

"Fuck yeah, I have finally arrived," he muttered contentedly to himself.

Just as directed, the boy happened upon the so-called Splitting River. He came to realize the massive river was named so because, it appeared to have cut through the rocky canyons as it flowed up north.

After some time of following the river flow, Shawn soon spotted the extraordinary landmark. True to that jerk driver, the mountain could hardly be missed. It had three protruding peaks in total, resembling some ginormous trident spear that seemed to have been impaled on the ground eons ago, and then got buried within chunks of rocks over time. However, what made it peculiar was the middle peak that was completely evergreen, unlike the other two which were covered in snow. This was his destination because, the Godmother's Temple lied on the summit of the middle peak.

If not for the poor timing and location, Shawn would have sat there and done a wonderful sketch of the remarkable site. Come to think of it, it has been a while since he last drew. Then again, he couldn't because of the several plights that has been plaguing him endlessly.