Chapter Thirty-nine

Late Night Troubles

Time seemed to slow down as the dagger inched closer. The unexpected development left Shawn at a complete loss. Hadn't Graciela struck down the assassin moments ago? Then how comes is he now staring at that bloody blade stabbing towards him? The absurdity of the situation was utterly laughable. Fate can sometimes play one cruel joke.

The assassin's crazed eyes were filled with suicidal murderous desire. Shawn could even picture the psychotic grin stretched across his masked face. He wanted to move away, but his body had been scared stiff on the spot. Certain death was all that awaited him. In the background, Graciela was madly trying to stop the assassin, yet the distance albeit short, could not be covered in the nick of time. The assassin meant to drag Shawn down with him.

"Am I to die like this?" the hapless boy grieved in thought. "No! No! NO! I refuse! I refuse to die like this!"

His inner cry of defiance triggered something. His frail body began heating up tremendously fast. The prison cell that was freezing cold became hot all of a sudden, instantly thawing the formed ice. The assassin noticed something amiss, but he was already within proximity of his target.

"Go die...!" he growled, but then he gasped in terror at seeing Shawn's glaring eyes burning with flames!

It then happened in an instant...

Boom!

The whole cell was blinded with a bright light, and then an earthshattering explosion followed simultaneously. A body burnt into a crisp was blasted away and crumpled into fine ashes upon crashing into the opposite wall. It was the assassin, who was no more!

Not far away, a large cocoon made of ice was spotted. There were cracks all over which little by little, crumbled down into pieces to reveal an uninjured but shaken Graciela. Unlike the assassin, she was quick to sense danger and cocooned herself.

Shawn sat there looking speechless. The whole prison cell was ruined and up in flames. It was a miracle the roof hadn't collapsed on them, but from the little debris falling here and there, it was only a matter of time. He slowly gaped down at his trembling hands and was shocked to see them shrouded with his Eternal Flames. How was it possible? He wondered. Then he remembered the veiled girl had shattered the chains and released his magic.

Graciela, on the other hand, gawked at Shawn as if he was a monster. Her whole body was shaking in complete fear, only to soon freeze and her heart lurching to her throat when the boy gazed at her. There was a brief tense moment as the two stared at each other.

Shawn soon sighed and lessened his guarded look. The veiled girl, though coincidentally, had saved his life. He wanted to express his thanks, but was cut short by the loud shouts and rushing steps heading their way. That shattering explosion obviously alerted the guards.

Shawn glanced at the blasted exit, and then told the girl, "You have to go. You can't be seen here."

Graciela was taken aback by his words. Hearing the guards rushing down to the dungeon, made her realize the assassin hadn't drugged them to oblivion. The explosion must've jolted them awake. She cast Shawn a long deep gaze then nodded tacitly.

Soon her entire body crumbled into icy mist and whooshed away, much to the boy's marvel. That was some unique ability.

"Hmm... interesting indeed..." the copycat lauded in his mind.

"What is?" Shawn questioned back.

"Nothing." answered the copycat.

Shawn frowned, but then the almost collapsing place had him quickly stumble up to his feet and dash towards the exit. It would be a shame to minutely survive an assassination attempt, only to get buried alive under the rumble.