Chapter Forty

The Fortunate and the Unfortunate

The midmorning sun bathed the city with its bright warm rays. This was its final reveal before the looming long winter. The streets were flocked with denizens, mostly merchants, rushing up and about to trade their merchandises. All the local shops were finally opened for business, the local inns accepting residents and the taverns brimming with customers.

Many days had passed since the attack, and the trauma left was long forgotten. The villain was rotting in the dungeons, so they believed. He could even be dead for all they care. The restored peace was all and sundry wanted and relished in.

Similarly, west of the Capital where the grand buildings stood, the Empire's esteemed officials and nobles had gathered within a colossal dome-shaped citadel. They were attending the historical Accolade Ceremony to inaugurate the new three Generals. Also, they were there to send off the five young candidates who won the rights to enter the enigmatic and lucrative Chambers of Fate. As this was a formal event, any informal parties were left out without question. They couldn't even sniff the air around the premises with the strict security around.

At present, Emperor Lian grandly stood on a raised platform centered in the middle of the surrounding spectators. He was garbed in an exquisite golden royal mantle that was donned over his finest black tunic robes. Capped on his head was a golden crown. He also wielded a shimmering golden sword, which was a symbolic treasure used for the inauguration ceremony. Three youthful figures knelt before him. They were Brendon Saki, Baron Khan and Graciela Jones. These were the blessed three meant to be inaugurated as the Maelin Empire's newest Generals.

After his tragic and crushing defeat, many never expected Brendon to make an appearance. Garbed in a full sleeve grey surcoat, the silver-haired fire mage showed one impressive appearance. Alas, the limp arms hanging at his sides narrated another story. He should have been a subject of ridicule, yet none dared to voice it out in public. Even though maimed, he was still a terrifying Swordsmaster Level fire mage. Only a fool would underestimate him. As they all say; never mistake a rained on lion for a mere house cat.

Those emotionless grey eyes glared down at the ceramic tiled floor as he knelt there in silence. Nobody could even guess what went through his mind at the time.

Baron knelt to his right. The sturdy fire mage was garbed in a sleeveless emerald surcoat that showed his chiseled arms. Most noble ladies present couldn't help getting enamored. Ever since the Tournament, there were some noticeable changes about the lad. For instance, his magical aura felt richer and fiercer indicating a breakthrough was near. It was only a matter of time before the young genius enters the Swordsmaster Level threshold!

Graciela, who was kneeling to the left of Brendon, differed from her male counterparts. Whereas the men were garbed in fine surcoats, she was only robed in a simple ankle-length cyan tunic dress. She looked underdressed for such a grand occasion, but her demeanor was rich with elegance. She looked so serene like a millpond. Several lustful gazes were directed her way since many caught glimpses of her phenomenal beauty. Her veiled face was bowed to the ground as the Emperor continued to address them and the crowd.

"Today you come not only to bear witness, but to celebrate history in the making. For the first time ever since the rise of our beloved Maelin Empire, I will be ordaining not one but three Generals!" Emperor Lian proclaimed to the listening crowd.

"Our enemies only know how to cower in the shadows and plot our downfall. However, I am here to assert to you all that we have weathered through harsher disasters and still rose up strong. These cowards have schemed against us, attacked us, tried to invade into our lands, but they have never and will never succeed! Here they will only face their destruction that will send their measly souls quaking even in the afterlife!"