Chapter Fifty

The Crimson Snow

Shawn's mind must've been playing tricks. How could Dianne be here, so far away in this random place? It was impossible. Then again, how could he explain what his eyes were seeing?

Dianne had removed the hood of her cloak to reveal her typical emotionless face. Those clear dark eyes, which always captivated Shawn, shone with contrasting emotions. Was she happy? Was she relived? Or, was she just downright mad? The latter brought up another important question. Why was she here?

"H-how... How did y-you find me...?" Shawn felt uneasy and asked with an uncontrollable stutter.

"..." Dianne remained stoic silent and slowly approached. Her black leather heel boots struck the wooden floorboards with daunting taps.

Shawn stepped back on reflex, but realized a table was blocking him from behind. Dianne stalked closer and closer, eliminating any room for escape. The boy could only stand there with bated breath. However, the unbelievable thing happened...

It happened in a blur. A pair of slender arms suddenly snaked around Shawn side's and pulled him into a tight embrace. That unexpected move threw him off completely. What was happening? His bulged out eyes easily conveyed the question racing across his muddled mind.

Despite the wet cloak and the leather armor Dianne wore, Shawn could still feel her warm and ample body pressing into his. Her rich sweet scent was very intoxicating that he forgot his worries, for a moment. Was this a dream? Was Dianne actually hugging him? What were her reasons? Question after question flooded in his mind.

After a while, Dianne pulled back and gazed at him. Her cool breath fanned over his face. Those beguiling eyes examined him in great detail, and sometimes linger a bit longer on her lips. She seemed to be pondering on something from the way she bit her lower lip.

 She seemed to be pondering on something from the way she bit her lower lip

"Dianne..." Shawn desired to speak, but she silenced him by placing a finger over his lips.

The finger then gently trailed across his cheek, causing the boy to shiver. Dianne continued to caress across until her hand settled at the back of his neck. Straightway, Shawn's breath hitched knowing fully what could be coming next. He even subconsciously parted his lips while in wait.

Those eyes that firmly held his gaze turned cold all of a sudden. What Shawn thought was a longing look on her face was nowhere to be seen at the moment. Before he could mull over it, Dianne firmly held his head in place and heftily punched with the other free hand, instantly knocking him out cold!

*******

The southern side of the Maelin Empire was remarkably calm. The area was completely desolate and even more so during this winter season. Merchants rarely passed through the border gates. So, the stationed soldiers had little to do in inspections and collection of entrance fees. Still, they were on high alert because the Empire was at war. The enemy could invade through the unlikeliest side.