Chapter Forty-eight

This Chapter has undergone some rewrites, especially towards the end.
--------------------------------------------

The War Room

"You two, where is that brat brother of yours? How dare he neglect his duties during such sensitive times of war? Does he think that I won't flog his complacent ass in the public square?" General Khan bellowed.

Before the raging and pyromaniac warmonger, stood his two cowering sons. Their pale faces looking like white sheets were fearfully lowered to the ground. Even their green robes stuck to skin upon being drenched in cold sweat. Several days had passed since their elder brother, Baron Khan, vanished without a word after departing from the Chambers of Fate. They had no idea where he had run off to. They even tried covering up for his disappearance from their father's persistent inquiries, but only ended up dragging out the inevitable.

The enraged General's vicious aura rolled out in huge waves and enveloped the two, who were gulping down mouthfuls of saliva in sheer trepidation. Why, oh why would Baron mess us up this way? They could only lament because, nothing was stopping their crotchety father from whooping them senseless there and then.

"Huh, now you're both mute?" General Khan fisted his beefy hands that the knuckles cracked and took a menacing step forward. The two sons were alarmed straightway and took an involuntary step back.

"P-please father..." Leroy stuttered.

"What?" The General glowered down at the youngest son and rendered him speechless.

"Father, we have no knowledge where Baron went," Finn finally squeaked out the truth and immediately regretted it.

"You have no knowledge?" The question was emphasized with a grim chuckle that sent shivers down their backs. "Then please do tell. What was this nonsense you were yapping about him heading to the front lines?"

"Father, I..." Finn tried to explain but couldn't come up with any excuse. He just stood there dumbly with his mouth opening and closing like a fished out fish.

Fortunately, Leroy came to his aid and narrated everything. "... So that's what happened. We actually believe that treacherous place made him somewhat... cuckoo." He finished by swirling his finger across his temple.

Finn's entire body froze and shot his brother a look of disbelief. How can this fool blurt out such nonsense in front of their father? Did he wish to die so badly? Glancing at his boorish father, Finn directly sucked in a cold breath. The General regarded both sons indifferently that none could tell what went through his head. It was this kind of look that gave a sense of foreboding. Soon his lips curled up to one heinous grin.

Both brothers comically shed tears in thought and lamented internally, "Oh heavens, please protect us!"

"Good, good. You two have done really well today," General Khan appraised sarcastically. He then slapped their shoulders so hard they jumped and shrieked in fright. "Since your brother has supposedly gone to the front lines, why don't you go and join him there as well. How can our men fight alone while the Pyromaniacs of Battle stick to the sidelines? It is unacceptable! We must slay the enemy and bath them in our Flames of Warfare! We must not disgrace our family honor kept since the ages!"

His vigor declaration appalled the two that their mouths hanged so wide open a whole bucket could fit inside. How can they be taken to the front lines? It was absolute madness!

"B-but father, I am n-not a soldi--" Leroy blurted out, but was directly interrupted.

"You are not what?" General Khan narrowed his fiery green eyes, dangerously.