Chapter Nine

Unforeseen Shopping Spree

The village Dianne was talking about lied just when the forest was beginning to thin out. It was a simple small village that looked nothing out of the ordinary. The houses were small and few. Although it was approaching midday, the village looked rather deserted. The spotted few livestock pent up in the shabby barns looked frail and sickly; spelling a major malnourishment that affected the place.

This was the first village bordering the Maelin Empire from the south. Also, it was the one of the few villages that was close to the Lands of the Unknown. This closeness was what made the village appear so bleak. Since the Demon Hound was suspected to be pillaging the area, most villagers had absconded. Those that were unlucky to remain were locking themselves up in their homes and living in constant fear.

Currently, there was a young girl fetching some water from the only available well. She looked probably eight years old or younger. She had a frail petite body that her ragged clothes looked oversized. She was leisurely humming a local tune which got disrupted by the sudden sound of heavy thumps. The innocent lassie turned to look and immediately paled in absolute horror.

"Aaah!" she screamed. "The demon is here! The demon comes again! We are all doomed!"

Her piercing scream alerted the whole village. Quickly, the men rushed out with pitchforks while the women and children holed inside. Although they have never directly faced the demon, they still steeled themselves to fend it off. Even a cornered rabbit would fight for its life.

The presumed demon was actually Gulu. It was drawing the luxurious carriage into the village.

When the knowledgeable villagers saw it, they immediately admonished the girl, "Stupid girl, what demon are you blathering about? That's an Earth Dragon."

"An Earth Dragon...?" the girl asked innocently. Her fledgling freckled face was scrunched up in confusion as she looked at the approaching majestic beast.

"Tsk! This is why you'll remain a simpleton forever," one of the older villagers tut-tutted and shook his head in contempt.

The other villagers who were also ignorant jolted with excitement after hearing the old man. Everyone knew about the majestic Earth Dragons. They were mounts used by very esteemed nobles. To see one here meant there was very revered figure inside that carriage. The question was who.

"Is it not rumored that only His Majesty, the Emperor is able to mount one?" one villager asked.

"What? Are you serious? Then that means..." When the meaning to his words struck them, a jolt run through everyone and they began prostrating themselves in the ground worshipfully

"Quick! Quick! Call everyone to come and pay homage. Our Emperor is gracing us with his presence!" Everyone was called.

"Oh my gods! Can't believe me would actually see His Grace in person." Some were already moved to tears of joy.

"Make way you fool. This is my chance to leave this life of dearth once he chooses me as one of his concubines." Also, funnily enough, there some women amongst the villagers who flaunted their bodies in hopes to entice the Emperor.

However, they were quickly mocked, "Ha-ha! Stop sprouting nonsense ya worthless harlot. With that toad-like face, my grandmother would've better chances than ya."

A ruckus erupted in the once quiet and seemingly deserted village. The prospect of meeting the Emperor had them thrilled.

"Fools! Do you lot have a death wish?" the old villager barked out and silenced the eager crowd. "Have you not grasp the solemnity of the situation? Then let me educate you country bumpkins. Do you see any Royal Guard Escorts?"