Chapter Twenty-two

Kosmemophobia

Everybody was confounded. Everything went opposite to their expectations. How can a fight everyone anticipated explosiveness be decided with just three attacks? This was complete and utter debauchery! To say the crowd was disappointed will be true.

How could that George propose such and why did Mr. Bantu accept? Many began suspecting the two had a tacit agreement beforehand. Alas, the crowd could only protest in silence.

George clapped cheerily and then turned to the Grand Elder. "Hey old man, can we now begin?"

Jaws dropped in absolute disbelief. Did the audience hear George correctly? Who was the Grand Elder? He was the Head Judge of the Maelin Empire Courts. Even the Emperor would humble himself in his presence. And here comes some conceited brat who dared address him in such an unruly manner. He was courting death!

*******

Up at the Royal booth, a man dressed in fine yellow robes sat among the Royal Entourage. He was the Royal Treasurer and George's father. Before he had airs of nobility, but all that evaporated once his son spoke. His face had turned so ugly and he was sweating profusely. His wrinkly blue eyes anxiously eyeballed the Emperor sitting at the front and the Grand Elder on podium.

When the other members of the Royal Entourage started giving him condescending side glances, he immediately began to plead, "My merciful and all powerful Emperor, my son has always been this unruly... Uh... I beseech you to pardon his transgressions. It is my fault for not disciplining him enough. You see..."

His voice trailed off when the Emperor didn't react to his words. He could only grit his teeth and curse at his son in thought, "You filthy, stupid, imbecile, spoiled brat! Do you think this father of yours shall not disown you today? How dare you try sending me to an early grave?"

*******

George's improprieties were known to all. He did as he pleased and showed no respect to anyone. He was the kind of rascal whom everyone wanted to whack, but couldn't because of his affluent background. He only cared for two things: riches and women. It was a miracle he was one of the young wizards.

However, contrary to everyone's expectations, the Grand Elder only shot him glares and snarled with a low voice, "You may begin."

The one assigned to ring the bell even forgot for he was too stunned. How could the old judge let off such an unruly brat.

"Sweet!" George excitedly rubbed his hands together and turned to Mr. Bantu. "Big bro Bantu, are you ready? Here I come!"

Mr. Bantu quickly crouched down into a horse stance and vigilantly sized up his opponent. George was very cunning and his magic was very peculiar. Then again, the rich brat didn't move to attack. He only stood there with a casual grin on his handsome face. He then unpinned a red ruby adorned on his robes and tossed it at Mr. Bantu.

"Big bro Bantu better be careful. That is one expensive ruby. I happened to pick it up in an auction held somewhere in the Crimson Wind Empire. Word of advice... never visit that place. Those dimwits are only cheats and scum! I was almost ripped-off!" George tut-tutted while shaking his head in annoyance.

The red ruby fell before Mr. Bantu's feet like an ordinary object. However, the man felt a deep sense of crisis. He straightaway took out a defensive treasure and broke it. A blue dome shield enshrouded him there and then.

Boom!

Without warning, a deafening blast shook the entire battle stage and alarmed the crowd. There were horrified cries since nobody expected such an ordinary jewel could cause such devastation. Was it an attacking treasure? The blue dome shield shattered, but luckily, Mr. Bantu survived the onslaught. His quick actions saved him.