Chapter Thirty-one

The Yin Clan's Flame...?

At that moment, the heavens opened and light showers began showering the Capital. In the arena, the crowd of spectators never reacted to the rain. Either they were too stunned by the shocking events on the battle stage to realize or they didn't care. Were the heavens weeping at Brendon's misfortune? Or were the gods bawling with laughter that tears flowed down in a torrent of rains?

Brendon blankly stared at his charred arms. He was completely frozen still like a statue. Some in the crowd began sucking in cold breaths and feeling the shivers running through their arms. It even surprised them how the guy got up without the support of his now dead hands.

What Shawn had done was beyond horrendous. Crippling those arms meant Brendon could no longer do close combat that he prided upon. Although he could still cast magic, his potency was greatly reduced. He was like a lion with jaws, but no claws.

Brendon's body began trembling. Soon his knees buckled and fell to the wet sandy ground. A look of distraught marred his face. Was this a sign of the downfall of a peerless young mage? All the efforts he and his family made had flashed down the drain in an instant. It was unbelievable...

"I... will... kill you...! I will... kill you...!" Brendon began mumbling while furiously grabbing the sand.

"I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU, BASTARD!!" he suddenly roared hysterically that saliva and blood spluttered all over from his mouth.

Shawn was indifferent to the demented outburst. His cold gaze was still fixed at Brendon. The boy even responded to his mad roar by coolly stalking forth to finish off the 'squeaking dead rat'. But then, his brows crease slightly to a frown.

Brendon retched out some bloody phlegm. However, it didn't soak the ground but began hovering, and then drifted to mix unnaturally with the still lingering ashy cloud. Then the most disturbing thing happened when the ashy cloud transformed to some ghastly bloody matter.

The whole arena burst into an upheaval. Brendon had completely lost his mind. What he had done was ignoring all repercussions and performed dark magic. Although it wasn't against the rules of this death duel, it was totally uncalled for.

Dark magic was something frowned upon by all. Mages who practiced such abhorrent magic were loathed and treated like abominations. They were outcasts cursed vehemently to have misfortunes even in death.

The horrible carnages of the Demon Hound weren't the only disasters this world faced. A few centuries after that vile demon was imprisoned, another calamity shook the world. Some psychotic mages began an insurgency against the set World Order by the Ruling Powers. They staunchly believed the world would be better off with the discovery of some peculiar arts that enabled everyone to use magic, even mortals.

Alas, these peculiar arts, which were later termed as dark magic, had its drawbacks. The mortals who chose to practice them became monstrous beings that plunged the world into chaos. They had to be exterminated, and hence the dark era of the Great Purge began. It was so horrible that countless lives were lost.

The Ruling Powers even set laws against the practice of such peculiar dark arts. However, that didn't stop some obnoxious mages from practicing in secret. It even became a trend that the laws became lax. Still, whenever a mage practices dark magic, many were quick to rebuke and tarnish them.

What Brendon had done was risk his blood essence to unnaturally boost his power. This was a forbidden art because it went against the ways of the Dao of magic. Enchanted boosting treasures were already unnatural relics that went against this world's natural laws, hence why they were so difficult and dangerous to find. When a mage does it by force, they risk losing their lives by having a magic overflow. This was the wrath of Mother Nature.