Chapter Forty-nine

His Lost and Her Found

Achoo!

Shawn sneezed suddenly and rubbed his cringed nose while muttering, "Am I catching a cold?"

He was trying to keep the fire burning by tossing some wood inside. The resulting wispy cloud of ashy smoke rose successfully to the cave roof and then wafted across to exit through the mouth. The rocky cave wasn't big, but roomy enough to accommodate at least two people. The piled up huge boulders only allowed one small entrance, successfully preventing any large and dangerous creatures from crawling in.

Shawn and his new female companion found the cave by chance when traversing through the forest. Three days had passed since he decided to take, or rather follow the white-haired girl to her apparent destination. His original plan of heading to the Godmother's Temple already swept under the rug.

What made Shawn follow the girl was the fear of encountering another of those horrifying massive creatures. The trip to that Temple just became too perilous. What's more, the copycat wasn't against the idea of following the girl. Apart from avoiding encountering those peculiar beasts, he said that the girl was giving him a bizarre feeling that triggered his curiosity. The more they stuck with her, the more he would probably understand.

Presently, the girl had secluded herself to the inner part of the cave. She was sitting in a lotus pose while cultivating. Shawn was still clueless on her type of magic. The girl rarely spoke to him.

"This woman is too strange," the copycat suddenly sounded in Shawn's mind, and made the boy gaze at the girl.

"Huh? Why do you say so?" Shawn answered back in thought to avoid appearing crazy by conversing with himself. "And for the last time, she's a girl! Probably in her late teens."

The copycat clicked her tongue and grumbled, "Are you that dumb to see that she's no ordinary person. Even her aura screams old age."

Shawn scoffed back and rolled his eyes. He couldn't bring himself to accept that this girl was some old granny in a girly appearance. However, the strange signs surrounding her told him otherwise.

"Her magic feels strangely familiar through," the copycat mentioned, and Shawn got confused. The copycat sighed and elaborated, "Haven't you noticed how it has become so cold all of a sudden?"

That was when Shawn quickly noticed the chilly air and his brows rose with realization. "Oh yeah! Now that you've mentioned it... I actually thought the cold winter was catching up, hence made the fire. So all this is her doing? She's an ice mage."

"It would seem so..." The copycat trailed off abruptly and then hollered in excitement, "Ooh, you, lucky bastard! The fairy girl!"

"The fairy girl...?" Shawn was confused.

"Ugh! Fuck you're slow!" the copycat groaned. "The fairy girl with the ice magic... The one who saved you back then in the dungeons, doofus!"

"Uh... Okay...? What about her?" Shawn was still lost and heard the copycat facepalm himself.

"Oh my god, you're unbelievable," the copycat groaned. "Can't you see that this woman's magic is the same as hers?"

"So...?"

"So? Dude, are you an idiot? Weren't we looking for a way to find balance in your magic? This woman is the fucking key! Talk about manner falling from heaven," the copycat exclaimed in excitement.

Shawn cringed at the girl being referred to as a woman again. The image of an old granny with deep wrinkles and long white hair kept popping up in his head.