Chapter Forty-three

The Revelation and Her Decision

The people of Maelin Empire were busy harvesting and stocking up the necessary provisions for the long winter ahead. It was alleged that the winter would be longer than most in the past. Signs could already be seen above as the relished hot, bright sun was getting caged behind the emerging thick nimbus clouds.

Around this time, a lone figure of a young woman stood on the Palace bridge that connected the East tower to the North tower. From the high vantage point, her golden eyes watched the bustling that went on below. The busy dwellers remained unaware of their peerless beautiful Princess observing them. Dressed in an exquisite long black maxi gown dress with her golden hair stylishly pinned back with a diamond hairpin, she bore an excellent semblance to a bewitching dark empress.

The cold winds gusting from the west blew some few loose hair strands across her face, but that didn't break away her stare. Smoothly, she tucked them behind her ear and lifted her gaze to the east where some distant hilly lands lied. A soft sigh filled with a deep longing escaped her lips.

"He should be far gone by now," she spoke to herself then glanced down at her fair white hands, which had touched and caressed his face. "It won't be long before we meet again, my love."

"Where is he?" a cold feminine voice asked from behind all of a sudden.

Catlin was unsurprised for she had already sensed the person who appeared without prior notice. Without turning back, she beamingly greeted, "Oh my dear big sis, what a pleasant surprise. Spared some time to come see me, perhaps?"

"Where is he, Catlin?" the voice curtly asked again.

The Princess sighed once more and turned to lay eyes upon her friend, Dianne. She quirked an inquisitive eyebrow and asked innocently, "I suppose this he is a person I should know about?"

Dianne let out an exasperated groan. "Ugh! Stop playing dumb and tell me where in the netherworld is Shawn."

Catlin feigned a shocked gasp. "How should I know?"

Dianne growled and took a menacing step forward. "This is not the time for your games, Catlin! I know it was you who helped him escape."

The Princess's stunned pretense turned to a cheeky amusement as she regarded her scowling friend. There was no way of she could hide things from her.

After a moment, she spread out her arms and simply answered, "He is safe and sound."

"Where?" demanded Dianne.

"Here and there. Why would it matter so long as he is safe?" Catlin's ambiguous reply was the last straw and the Lady General took one long stride and stood threateningly within an inch from her face.

"I won't ask again." She demanded through gritted teeth, "Where is he?"

The Princess regarded the fuming General for a moment, and then rolled her eyes with a scoff. She moved to walk away, but Dianne grabbed her by the arm and pulled her back. Catlin frowned and glared down at the hand grabbing her, and then up at Dianne.

"I advise you to unhand me, lest I hurt you," she warned in a low grim voice. However, the Lady General responded by tightening her grip which caused the Princess to gasp in surprise, "Your strength...! How...? When did you have a breakthrough...?"

In response, Dianne only gave the stunned girl a tightlipped smile. "Now will you tell me of your own accord, or do I have to brawl it out of you?"

Catlin gulped down nervously. She was always the devious one, but this time she was outclassed and could only concede reluctantly.