Chapter Two

My Name Is Shazra!

Everything before the boy was dull and grey. A hilly barren landscape filled his line of vision. Pallid clouds that stretched to the horizon rained down ashes upon the desolate lands. It looked as if a horrific storm had swept up the place from the flashes of lightning within those dark clouds. However, that wasn't what got the boy terrified.

Heaps of mutilated corpses littered everywhere! Corpses of soldiers and what appeared to be their battle steeds_ because some of the carcasses really looked peculiar_ were all scattered, butchered and discoloring the ashen environ red. It was a gory and revolting scene. What happened was no world-shaking battle, but a complete massacre. Swords, shields and all sorts of armory were shattered into splinters that one would think they were made of wood. The boy could have puked on the spot if not for his whole body frozen in utter terror.

ROOAAARRRRR!

The silent perturbing scenery was disturbed by that thunderous roar. Spotted up ahead, above the hundreds and thousands of corpses, was a gigantic monstrous creature! The creature resembled a wolf yet upon closer inspection it had some reptilian features. Its whole body was covered with pale grey fur but its legs had red scales. Its huge maw mauled and gorged up corpses with its long razor-sharp teeth. The metal armor cladding some of the dead soldiers were ripped through as if it was some pierce of fabric.

This horrendous beast was like nothing the boy had ever seen before. It could only exist in nightmares and horror shows. This was definitely hell!

The boy remained stationary with his jaws totally ajar. Just then, a foreign hand clumped his mouth shut abruptly. The boy panicked and fought off the hand on instinct. However, hearing a soft shushing sound calmed him down.

He turned to see a middle-aged man dressed in full grey armor. It was quite different from the other dead soldiers because the material looked leather and very refine. The man belonged to the same group of the dead soldiers as seen from the same insignia engraved on their left breastplates. He was probably their leader, as the boy thought.

Talking about the breastplate, it had three deep gashes supposedly made by claw marks! This was just to show the tragic fate he escaped from. His paled face was daubed with splashes of blood, with his left cheek having one gruesome slash.

The man had ashy hair, though the boy wasn't sure if that was the original color or stained color from the raining ashes. Not once did his grey-black eyes leave the monstrous creature feasting upon the corpses. Fear was evidently in them, but there was also a clear determination for survival. This wasn't his first rodeo when facing the jaws of death.

"Do not make a sound and follow me quickly," the man ushered the boy with a silent whisper.

Their escape was to be swift and successful otherwise, only a tragic end would befall them. The boy complied without hesitation though his panicked state didn't help at all. Everything was too confusing. He had no memory of how he ended up in this hellish place. When trying to remember, several images would flash across his mind and caused immediate dizziness.

Sad to say, that lapse of concentration had him accidentally stumble on something slimy. He looked down and screamed at the gory sight of brains and innards!

Time seemed to freeze. Straightaway, the man stiffened in his tracks. He turned around slowly and his face went paler than it was before. It quickly dawned on the boy what a catastrophic blunder he had made. A deep low growl from behind answered the whole shebang. He had doomed them all!

There was no need to look back for he could feel a bloodthirsty glare piercing at his back. The creature dropped a carcass it was busy gnawing upon. An excited gleam danced within its crimson beastly eyes. Why busy itself with rotten carcasses when there were fresh live ones for the picking.