Chapter Twenty-four

The Arrogant Brendon Saki

"Young master Mikhael, about this purchase..." Charles wanted to speak his mind while the two were heading back to the arena, except words failed him.

After a successful bargain in front of a flabbergasted crowd, Shawn finally acquired the scrap black sword. Thirty silver coins wasn't considered much, especially to the old butler. It was the same cost as buying some few utensils. However, purchasing something so useless was distressing.

Shawn was gaping down at the worn out weapon like it was his favorite toy. He had underestimated its weight and had to awkwardly carry it with two hands. Though the boy was confused for he didn't sense that beckoning urge even after fondling with the sword. Still, there was a small part of him that inexplicably felt this sword was meant for him.

It was a double-edge sword with obvious no scabbard. Probably lost in the whatever sea it was picked from. Actually, most of the weight was due to the rust that completely corroded the sharpness. If it weren't for the hilt, anyone could've easily passed it for a chunk of scrap metal.

"Young master Mikhael, if you may please oblige me. What moved you to purchase this... weapon?" asked Charles. Even terming this 'metal' a weapon sounded distasteful.

"I don't know. It just beckoned to me," Shawn answered simply.

The old butler was perplexed. "Beckoned?"

Shawn nodded and prompted Charles to request, "If you would please allow me. I would like to inspect the blade and see if it has any mystical fluctuations."

"Sure." The boy agreed without hesitation and Charles took the scrap sword from him.

The old butler wielded the weapon like an expert and held it perfectly horizontal at eye level to inspect the flat surface of the blade. This left Shawn wowed and an idea struck his mind.

Just then, the boy felt something being pushed into his hand. Startled, he quickly looked at who it was, but the stranger used the dim illumination to disappear into the multitudes. What was in his hand was a crumpled piece of paper.

Hesitantly unfolding it, he saw it was a note that read:

'Fear not for what is to come. Your magic is freed.

Trust in my words and my decision. Our fate is intertwined.

Yours lovely.

Catlin!'

Shawn was confused, then it struck him moments later. The Princess! His eyes dart up and searched for who had given him the note, but they had already vanished with passing crowd. What did this note mean? His magic was freed?

A tired sigh caused him to turn and see Charles shake his head and say, "I am sorry but I cannot sense anything."

Shawn then realized the old butler had been too engrossed in inspecting the weapon that he failed to notice what had just happened. Not sure if he should mention it, the boy decided to secretly pocket the note and take back the scrap sword. That note can be pondered on for later. Also, was there nothing to this weapon? Did he imagine that strong beckoning call?

Charles noticed his troubled state and comforted, "Worry not, young master Mikhael. The mysteries of the world are beyond fathomable. There is a reason for everything. Perhaps you coming across this weapon is according to fate."

Shawn gave him a puzzled look. "You think I was fated to buy this sword?"

Charles smiled noncommittally and shrugged his shoulders. "That I do not know, young master Mikhael. That is the very mystery that can only be solved with time."