Chapter One

One In Many.

Now Shawn was here running for his dear life. It may sound melodramatic, but the crazed murderous look Jake had told another story. The bully was out for blood_ his blood to be exact. Irrational or not, Jake was looking to murder and Shawn had to escape from his clutches by all means possible.

The confusion and scare had him aimlessly run around and end up losing his sense of direction. Jake and his goons chased unrelentingly not so far behind, further pushing him into the dark and frightening unknown.

The dark forest was shrouded with an unsettling grave silence. Escaping here was an instantaneous decision which the boy didn't have time to think. At first, he thought of talking it out with Jake; however, that wrathful look kicked out that option. He wanted to deter them and possibly lose them; then double back and seek safe harbor back home. If worse comes to worse, report Jake to the police if necessary. Alas, who would have known they would persistently give chase.

Bump!

Out of the blue, something heavy tackled Shawn to the ground, knocking out all air in his chest. It felt like a truck rammed him down. A painful groan escaped his lips only to be cut short when the heavy thing straddled him. It was Jake and from that perfect spear tackle, he was indeed a true captain of the rugby team.

"Damn it! How the hell did he catch up...?"

Those thoughts were cut short when a hefty punch landed directly on Shawn's face. The boy saw dark dots immediately. Before he could regain clarity, more punches rained down upon his unprotected face.

It was hard telling how many blows punched him senseless. His vision was blurring and threatening to go dark. He was beyond recognizable with his face numb and swollen. He could have pled for mercy, but the unceasing blows made it impossible. Mouthfuls of blood spurted out from his ripped mouth, staining the grassy ground red. Still, that was not the end of it.

"You think... you can just go after... my girl!" Jake growled maliciously while delivering punch after punch.

Although Shawn was being pummeled black and blue, he couldn't help marveling at his strength. These were indeed benefits of hitting the gym.

Not long after, Jake got up and Shawn was almost sighing in relief thinking it was over. However...

Snap!

"AAAHHHH!!!"

A piercing sound of bones breaking, soon to be followed by a blaring howl of agony, reverberated into the silent night. Jake had stamped on Shawn's hand obnoxiously and completely shattered his bone fingers.

"You think you can use this disgusting hand to sketch my girl?" Jake bellowed out.

If that wasn't enough, a vicious kick to the side had Shawn ball up into a fetus position and rasp in pain. More kicks followed, a couple going to his head while others striking sensitive parts. The pain was too excruciating that Shawn was almost passing out.

"You think you can take her away from me, nerdy boy? Aren't you so full of yourself?" Jake was getting deranged it even unsettled some of his pals, who had gathered around.

Snap! Snap!

Jake now stomped on Shawn's other hand and right leg, shattering the bones as well. Shawn let out a painful soundless scream. He was just some slender, fragile guy facing the viciousness of a raging and drunk brute.

"Yeah, let's see if she would fall for a cripple!" The mirthless voice of Shawn's tormentor echoed into his ears.

Jake, on the other hand, glared down at the battered loser sprawled on the ground. His painful groans never invoked any sympathy. In fact, he felt more unsatisfied with the result and wanted to do more harm. Unknown to Shawn, all of Jake's misdoings were because of what transpired a few days ago, but to the bully it felt fresh like yesterday.