Chapter Forty-two

Blitzkrieg Ventures

"Jared Flintstone, ya lazy bum! Get ya filthy drunken ass up!" shouted a womanly voice.

The sudden shout was followed by a splash of cold water, which instantly sprung up a young man awake and yelping, "Aaah! Bloody netherworld!"

"Sleeping till this late in the morning! Have ya no shame?" the womanly voice scolded.

The young man jumped out of bed and stumbled down to the floor. His disoriented forest green eyes blinked furiously to catch his bearings.

Once he spotted the middle-aged woman with a sheet iron bucket in one hand and the other hand placed on hip, he yelled, "Mother, what is wrong with you?"

"What did ya say, ya little brat? Me think someone needs some good early morning spanking, eh?" The woman's blue eyes flared up threateningly and the lad, going by the name of Jared, shrunk back and gulped in panic. "Me didn't raise a lazy boy, no siree. Not in this family. Not while ya staying under me roof, ya hear?"

Jared bobbed his head and his mother harrumphed. She gave him a quick onceover and scrunched up her nose in disgust. "Now stop lazing around and go take a damn bath. Ya reek of mead."

Once she stormed off, Jared was left there grumbling while inspecting his wet clothes and beddings, "For the love of the mystic gods, why couldn't she wake me up like any normal person would?"

His mouther suddenly shouted from outside the room, "What was that? Did ya say something?"

"It's nothing, mother!" he quickly cried out and heard her clicking her tongue as she strode away.

After getting home last night from the local tavern, Jared directly passed out while still fully dressed and his dirty boots stuck to feet. As soon as he got up from the floor, a horrible wave of nausea hit him and his head pounded as if being struck by a metal baton. He really drank a lot.

The youth dragged his exhausted body out of the room and tottered to the back of the house. Luckily, his mother was busy in the kitchen preparing breakfast, so he easily slipped past undetected. He didn't want another round of shouting and scolding.

There was an improvised bath stall just outside where Jared took a quick cold bath and wore cleaner clothes. Although he tried to avoid it for as long as possible, it was now time to face the music.

Once he entered the kitchen, he found a hot mug of porridge and freshly boiled sweet potatoes already served on the dining table. However, the sight of the meal brought another wave of nausea. Oh how he regretted drowning in mugs of mead last night. Now, he had to gouge down the food, forcefully.

Jared only lived with his mother after his estranged father abandoned them just a year after he was born. They stayed in a simple two-bedroom wooden cottage house. Their living conditions were merely so-so, and only thing preventing them from sinking into total poverty was the small wages from his mother's weaving business. Furthermore, if not for their small garden located at the back of the house, they would've long suffered severe malnourishment.

"Have ya heard what me just said?" the mother asked while they were eating their meal.

Jared was sitting alongside her and slowly nibbling on a piece of potato. He was struggling so hard to swallow down the food and try his best to mask the grimace.

"Look at ya, can't even eat properly. Me raised ya better than this, Jared. Not some useless drunkard of an excuse. Ya keep running around with those hopeless crooks and one day ya'll be living with regrets. Me won't be around forever, ya know?" His mother scolded him endlessly.