Chapter Twenty-seven

A Lone Pawn Foils a Checkmate

"Oh no, you won't, Catlin." As soon as the Princess stood to speak, Dianne muttered suddenly and began ushering the others to get up. "We are leaving."

"What...?" Shawn was baffled when she grabbed his hand and began pulling him up.

"Be quiet and do as I say," she hissed.

Charles and Colson didn't question her. They were already up on their feet and preparing to depart.

Just then, a maidservant approached and timidly handed Dianne a piece of paper. "M-my Lady General... th-this humble servant h-has been instructed to g-give you this..."

Dianne glowered at the cowering poor girl then snatched the paper from her hand. She shot a glare at the Royal booth, and unfolded the paper to read the context inside. After a moment, she crumpled the paper and growled in frustration.

The Lady General then dropped back on her seat with a vexed sigh, and pinched the bridge of her nose. Shawn looked at the old twins for answers, but they were likewise perplexed.

"Sit down," she commanded through gritted teeth.

*******

Emperor Lian looked dumbfounded. Wasn't this daughter of his snoozing a while ago? When did she wake up? And what did she want to say? A part of him hesitated, but the other was curious.

Catlin didn't wait for her father's response and sashayed towards the podium. Although her face was veiled, she still emanated a dark sexy appeal that blended perfectly with the beautiful night. People were mesmerized and licked their lips lustfully.

The Grand Elder gave way for her, but still stayed behind. He was also curious as to what the Princess wished to say.

Catlin gazed at the crowd for a moment then clapped and praised with a melodious voice, "Today has been truly delightful, hasn't it? I can't help but applaud my peers. Watching how they have fought so bravely and with so much passion, I stand here feeling so proud that the future of our Empire looks bright. Truly, there are hidden dragons amongst men!"

Applause followed straightaway with most shamelessly clapping louder than the rest to garner her attention. Emperor Lian was the only who was smiling wryly. He was certain this girl hadn't watched a single fight since the start of the tourney. Catlin raised her hand to silence them.

"Regrettably, for every victor there is a loser. However, I don't see any shame in those who were defeated. I only see exceptional mages who have showed their worth. Please take heart everyone because a defeat is but a temporary detour. Not a dead end," she consoled and many nodded.

Emperor Lian was equally and pleasantly surprised by those wise words, and a nostalgic feeling overwhelmed him when he gazed up at the night sky and mumbled to himself, "Oh Helena, our beloved daughter is so wise like you."

"You all have to forgive me, though. I am a poor public speaker. But this special occasion really calls for it. Hope I haven't disappointed?" Catlin asked with coy smile that swooned every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

In an instant, refusals and genuine laughter echoed all around. Dianne was the only one to scoff at the girl's theatrics.

"Well thank you," she said while cutely placing her hands over her heart. "I have to also congratulate our new three Generals. I can't wait to work with you. It has really been a letdown with all these old fogies around... except you Dianne, of course."

She feigned to grab her mouth to stifle a laugh, whereas the crowd burst out into laughter. Dianne clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes whereas, the other Generals cleared their throats to hide their embarrassment. Anyone could easily guess what ran across their mind. Must this naughty girl tease them so bluntly?