Chapter Sixteen

You Dare Defile The Princess?

The Maelin Empire started experiencing sudden changes. Although the high-ups tried to keep the threat of the invasion hush-hush, the rise of security levels did not escape notice of some keen folks. The patrolling soldiers had tripled in number and stricter searches were imposed at the border gates. It was obvious something big was bound to occur.

The air was somewhat turning gloomy despite the weather being very hot. However, those that were knowledgeable knew this was a sign of rain coming. Still, business went on as usual in the capital. Everyone had to make a living one way or another.

There was a certain local tavern near the city's square. Even though the day was still fresh, patrons could be seen inside having a drink or two.

"Did ya 'ear ze newz?" one scrawny drunkard announced for all to hear.

His loud, croaky, slurry voice attracted some curious glances, but then nobody spared him another look after seeing how 'merry' he was. He staggered from side to side with a mug of mead carelessly held in his hand.

"A tourney... will be held for ze little ladz in some dayz time... hic..." he slurred though hiccups.

One red-haired patron glared at the drunkard and sneered in contempt. His teetering and blabbering mouth was getting on the patron's nerves and he spat, "What crap are you spattering, you drunk fool?"

The drunkard stumbled back and forth and then lampooned while untidily chugging down his drink, "What I speak z no crap... hic... But what ya drinkin' z crap... hic..."

The red-haired patron was immediately riled up and shot to his feet. "What did you just say, you, skinny scum?"

"Come over 'ere I tell ya..." The drunkard comically pulled up his balled fists in readiness to brawl, only to stumble and fall to ground and garnered mocking laughter.

"The drunk fool is speaking the truth." A man sitting in a secluded corner spoke up and told the patrons. "There will be a tournament held in the coming days. But that's no shocking news. I am certain you folks are all unaware of the return of the Princess."

One patron cried in surprise, "Wh-what...? Th-the one and only Princess? She is r-returning? There's no way!"

"Her Majesty, the Princess, has been gone for far too long. Why the sudden return? Wasn't she sent away because of her bewitching beauty?" a waitress of the tavern pointed out.

"What do you mean?" asked some of the drunken patrons.

"Haven't you heard the stories?" she said. "Ever since she was born her beauty has been a curse to all. It has caused so many upheavals that His Majesty, the Emperor had to send her away."

"Yes! Men collapsed and died by the mere sight of her." Another waitress added on with a scorn.

"What? Is this true?" Some of the drunkards believed stupidly.

"Mmh! I hear she is yet to find a husband," the first waitress informed.

"Oh, you jealous wenches, just shut up. It is so obvious your tongues can't speak anything but exaggerated lies," the man sitting at the corner rebuked the two waitresses.

"What did you say, you, ugly bum?" the waitresses angrily screeched at the man, but he paid them no heed.

"You're right on one thing though. It is true Her Majesty, the Princess is yet to find a husband and it is for this reason that she is returning," he said and took a swig of his drink while the tavern bowled over.

"So the Princess is looking for a husband?" one patron asked dreamily.

The man scoffed at him with disdain, "You should forget your lewd thoughts, you, simpleton. The Princess is way out of your reach even in your dreams. Not only is her beauty the outstanding feat, mind you, her strength is beyond your imagination."