Chapter Fifty-one

Princess of Darkness

"Wess!" Lieutenant Norbert Saki carelessly dashed across the chaotic battlefield while calling out to his lover. The continuous cries of his soldiers fighting for their lives were the only thing ringing all over the place.

"Damn it, Wess! Where are you?" he called again when he got no response.

Blowing snow blinded his vision as he desperately searched. When death threatened to separate them for all eternity, all his reasoning was thrown out the window. He could care less about their relationship coming to light, or his safety when jumping into the perilous fray. All he needed was the love of his life to be safe and sound.

Sounds of blades clashing and arrows zipping through air echoed all around him. He would sometimes catch glimpses of conjured fiery projectiles, whips of water jets, hurled boulders and lightning bolts, and then the ground he stood on get shaken by shattering explosions. The plains that were once filled with serene whiteness were now marred with a pandemonium of blood, gore and mutilated bodies. The foul smell of death permeated the air.

No longer did the Lieutenant look like the brilliant and valiant warrior. His flustered face was filled with great despair. His messy ashy hair was stained with dirt, snow and blood. Although his enchanted weapon dripped with the blood of his slain enemies, the deep gashes across his grey armor showed he didn't come out unscathed.

At one point, a roar from behind had him instinctively spin around and swing the double-edged sword across. That spontaneous move proved life-saving when he slashed a humanoid wolf beast. It was one of the Ridgeland Kingdom's shapeshifters. These were beings who could transform at will into terrifying wolf-like creatures. They are believed to have been originally mortals hexed through dark magic to have their bodies' changed to such beasts. They were very agile and driven by complete bloodlust.

The beast's momentum caused them both to fall on the snow. While it was writhing and whimpering in pain from its slashed abdomen, Lieutenant Saki rushed up to his feet and buried the sword deep into the back of its head_ killing it instantly. There and then, a sense of peril from above hastened him to remove the sword and firmly hold it above his head to block a large axe chopping down.

The metals clashed with a resounding clang! However, the enemy wielding the huge battle axe was stronger and easily overpowered the Lieutenant to drop on one knee. He gritted his teeth and struggled fiercely to prevent his right shoulder from being chopped off.

The enemy was a big, beefy warrior dressed in loose hide armor despite the freezing weather. His scarred and hairy face wore a savage smile that revealed his crooked discolored teeth. Lieutenant Saki infused his sword with his Ash Fire and turned it a smoky blade. It began melting the axe in rapid succession.

Alas, the savage warrior was quick-witted and viciously kicked him in the chest, instantly knocking him to the ground with a painful oof! Without delay, he chopped down to slice the Lieutenant into two. However, he underestimated the agility of his opponent, who quickly rolled away to safety. Although Lieutenant Saki wasn't perfectly adept in their family Ash Fire, he was still an expert fighter. His battle reflexes were topnotch. Also, his enchanted low-grade weapon was a proper boost.

The warrior was enraged at missing his mark and growled. He savagely stomped forth and chopped down again and again; the axe denting the snow with muffled thuds.

At that instant, Lieutenant Saki cleverly noticed how swinging the huge weapon slightly slowed down the warrior's movements. So, he used the minute chance when the axe was raised in full swing to stab the enemy's exposed rib area.

The savage warrior let out a wheeze as if all air was knocked out from his chest. His bloodshot red eyes bulged out in shock and the axe slipped out from his grasp. He grabbed his side, but blood kept gushing out like a fountain. All strength waned instantly and he dropped on his knees. His rough face was contorted in utter disbelief to his unexpected defeat.