Chapter 37

For two days my dad would come into my cell at night while I was sleeping and start talking about when I was little. His raspy voice would wake me up but I kept my eyes closed listening to his stories. After he was finished he would leave and I was left curious of what he was thinking. Merle was never a story telling dad he was barely affectionate but he showed me he cares about me by us sitting on the couch watching tv or us riding in the truck blaring music through the speakers.

When we left he told daryl and I to be safe and then walked away. I'm riding on the motorcycle with daryl pulling into an abandoned farming barn with big rusted cilos. Cutting the engine I jump off the back grabbing the gun from my back. "Stay with hershel incase he needs help" rick says before running off behind daryl. Leaning against the car I strain my ears for any noises that are out of the ordinary. I whistle when hershel pulls up his pant leg revealing a gun and full magazine taped to his thigh.

He chuckles looking at me through the now closed door a smile still playing on my lips. Clearing my throat I go back to looking around 'I hope everything is okay.' "Hey" hershels voice pulls me out of my head "Get in" I nod my head opening the door and sqeezing next to his crutches. Pulling up to daryl I get out of the car "He's already in there" daryl says 'What.' "Just sat down with rick" he adds looking around with hershel and I "I don't see any cars" hershel observes.

"Yea it don't feel right, keep it runnin"daryl says then a loud truck is heard approaching fast. "Heads up" raising my gun I point it at the tan truck stopping in front of us the brakes sqealing. Two men step out of the car I point my gun at the one with glasses while daryl covers the short dark haired one. "The hell why's your boy already in there" daryl asks "He's here" andreas voice comes from the other side. "Yep" I say popping the p on the simple word. The metal screeches making me cringe at the loud sharp noise.

Lowering my gun I back up and lean against the car staring at the two men "I see princess isn't dead" the man with short black hair mocks. Scowling my lips curl back in a sneer but choose not to say anything back which makes him chuckle. "Maybe I should go inside" hershel suggests "The governor thought it be best if he and rick spoke privately." The man with glasses spoke looking up from his small book. "Who the hell are you" daryl asks cocking his head to the side. Looking up from his book he glances over the three of us "Milton mamot" he simply replies.

"Great he brought his butler" daryl scoffs a short laugh spilling from my mouth. "I'm his adviser" milton objects not looking up from his writing."What kind of advice" daryl questions a little curiousity playing in his voice. Sighing he looks up "Planning, biters uh I'm sorry I feel like I don't need to explain myself to the henchmen" milton explains. "Watch your mouth sunshine" daryl grunts, rolling my eyes I lean my head back a little bit "Look if we're gonna be out here pointing guns at each other all day, do me a favor shut your mouth." The mystery man says; daryl walks up to him getting in his face.

"Stop both of you we don't need this if something goes bad we'll be killing each other in no time, so let's just have some resemblance of peace at the moment." I assert putting my hand on daryls chest "I'll even say please" I say mockingly looking at the man's brown eyes. Daryl walks away my hand falling back down to my side before taking steps back to stand next to my uncle. Looking back andrea walks out of the building and sits on the bench pressed against it. Sighing I walk over to her sitting next to her a silence filling the cooling air around us "I'm sorry" my words are a whisper and to be honest I don't know what I was apologizing for. Maybe being mean to her or her wanting to help but can't, I don't know but I needed to say it.

Looking up from the ground her head turns to me a small smile on her lips. "There's no reason not to use the time we have together to explore the issues ourselves" milton suggests gaining our attention. "I say sit tight and shut up" mystery man argues "Don't ya mean the governor" daryl mocks "There sitting down ecpecially after what happened, they're gonna work it out nobody wants another battle." Milton adds I chuckle at the word battle "I wouldn't exactly call it a battle" daryl expresses.

"I would call it a battle and I did I recorded it" milton says holding up a little notebook. "Why" I ask standing up again, his head turns towards me "Somebody's gotta keep a record of what we've gone through to know a part of our history." He explains 'Makes sense' "That makes sense" hershel says expressing my thoughts. Milton takes a step forward "I've got dozens of interviews" miltons words are cut off by the sound of walkers. Andrea walks passed me while daryl and the mystery man head towards the sound.

"Your not going mal" looking over to hershel I shake my head "No they can handle it" I answer walking towards the two men in actuality I was scared to leave rick just incase something goes wrong. hershel and milton sit at a bench facing the building I stand by the car leaning against the door. 'This is boring' sighing I open the car door and pull out the water bottle from the middle console taking a small sip. Andrea walks back sitting down on the bench she was previously at. Seeing hershel go over a couple minutes later I walk to were he came from sitting next to milton writing in his book.

"You seem like a decent guy how is it you got stuck with him" I ask curiously turning my head towards the man. Looking up his eyes keep moving to the healing cut across my neck "I uh I'm not to good at defending myself against biters my specialty is brain and electronics not fighting and killing." He explains "I'm sorry" he says and I give him a confused look. Pointing his pen at his throat a small dry giggle falls from my tounge "Don't be I'm still here I got my family and I'll have a badass scar when it heals."I comment running my fingers over the bumpy skin fused together by string.

"Was anything damaged, how were you able to survive the wound" milton probes turning his notebook to a new page. "I can't eat big pieces of food I have to chew it into a paste kind of, but other than the surviving I don't know. I just woke up and I was okay in a sense I just couldn't talk or eat solid foods." I explain humoring him for the time being "Does it hurt when you do certain things." He asks and I shrug my shoulders "My neck can't go to far back and I can feel a pull when I turn my head but other than that it's starting to itch." I reply watching hershel and andrea talk.

I stand up when the governor walks out of the building rick not far behind. Walking I go passed rick and get on the back of the bike. Daryl starts the engine and slowly rides passed the tan truck my eyes on the people inside. Daryl goes faster as we ride down the road the heat from the exhaust seeping through my boots. Going through the gates I lean my forehead on daryls shoulder for a second feeling the speed bump under the tires. Before he cuts the engine I jump off walking up to rick pulling him into a short hug his hand cradling the back of my head.

Pulling away he looks at the walkers piling up on the fences "Let's get inside" He states walking towards the building with the rest of us behind him. Standing in the cell block rick grabs the rifle from his cell and stands in front of us "So I met this governor, sat with him for quite a while." Rick says "Just the two of ya" my dad questions and rick nods. "Should have gone when we had the chance" merle mumbles turning and walking passed glenn and maggie. Ricks silent for a moment "He wants this prison, he wants us gone... dead he wants us dead for what we did to woodbury. Were goin to war." Rick announces walking passed us, I look around the room scanning my families faces remembering each and every detail scared I'll never see them again.