Chapter 29

My eyes shoot open to a dark room, blinking a couple of times I clear the haze blocking my vision. Letting out a breath I stand up and shuffle out of the cell, walking down the steps I cringe at the echoing sound of my boots hitting the metal. Before I make it to the bottom I collapse covering my mouth so my cries don't wake anyone up. I slide to the bottom of the steps trying to keep my erratic breathing under control. Rolling over onto my side I squeeze my hands tighter to block the growing sound; a hand on my back snaps me out of my self torture and I wipe my eyes. The tears I wipe get replaced by more "Are you okay" I look up and see lori sitting down on the steps; I nod my head "I'm fine." I lie and lori puts her hand on her swollen stomach leaning back.

"You sure" she questions tilting her head a little bit; turning my head away I sit in silence. The quiet that follows is deafening, it's not like I don't want to talk to her because I do it just I don't want to be judged and thrown out. The silence is broken by loris soft whisper "When I was a teenager I had a friend she was, afraid to tell people how she felt...I don't know why but she kept everything inside, but she felt so worthless and tried suicide. Although she was my frie-" I cut her off "What do you want, you want me to tell you my life story" I snap my voice a sharp whisper. Loris face has a shocked expression frozen on it "I-I don't want anything I just want to make sure your okay." She mumbles out and I stand up and walk past her hearing her rings hit the railing I ignore her and walk back to my cell. A hand on my shoulder stops me in the door frame but I don't bother turning around, "No matter what cruel mask you put up it's still a mask and I know your not mean or cruel; Your a good, caring, selfless person I know it....and so does rick." Her voice stops and I hear the soft tap of her feet fade before I lay back down and wait for sunrise.

"Mal" I turn around at sound of daryls voice "C'mon" I roll over standing up and following him out of my cell. He walks down the steps while I continue walking foward and stopping in front of loris cell. She looks up at me "I'm sorry about last night I had a, dream and I didn't mean to snap" she smiles softly "It's fine I was intruding." I don't bother saying anything and walk to the edge of the railing "Daryl I'm just gonna stay here I don't think there needs to be that many of us out."
Daryl looks up at me "Alright" he nods his head and I turn to walk away "Malice can you get hershel for me." Looking back I see a distressed lori holding her stomach "Yea sure" walking down the steps I go to where everyone is gearing up.
"Hershel can I steal you for a minute" I cross my arms over my chest "Everything alright" rick asks and I turn my gaze to him "Nothin to worry about rick." I turn around when hershel starts walking towards me.

I stay outside the cell not really listening to the conversation; I look up when hershel walks out of the cell "The baby okay." He nods his head and I lean over the railing watching everybody make the last adjustments, only looking over when lori stands beside me. "You good" she puts a small smile on her face "Yea" and looks back down at her husband. "You won't need that I need you to stay put" rick walks over to carl taking the helmet from him "Your kidding" carl questions agitation in his voice.
I can't hear what ricks saying to carl till he nods his head "Sure" rick hands him the keys "Great let's go." Everybody walks out and rick looks up his gaze flickering between lori and I before walking out. I put my head down and sigh "Malice can we talk" I look over at lori "About what" she puts her hand on her stomach "Carl, this baby...and rick." I stand up with a sigh "Look I'm sorry if I got in-between you two it wasn't my intention" I turn around and walk back to my cell "I'll stay out of your hair." I don't look bother looking back when I make it to my cell.

I pick up my bat and clean some of the blood off of it, humming I look up at the sound of footsteps stopping in front of my cell. "Hey carl what's up" I sit my bat against the wall near the bed "Nothin just checking in" I smile knowing what he wants "I only have two more left." He smiles and I reach into my bag pulling out a packet of biscoff cookies; handing them to him I pull them away "You owe me something sweet" he vigorously nods his head and I hand them over with a smile. He bolts after he grabs them and I giggle pulling out my hunting knife and begin sharpening it. I look up when I hear yelling rushing out of the cell and down the stairs, I see herhsel covered in blood being wheeled into a cell.  I open the gate and run to daryl who has his bow ready. "What the hell happened" he doesn't look at me "Got bit" I put my hand on my stomach and bend over not really feeling well from the sight of the blood.