Chapter 38

Jogging down the steps I quickly walk through the cell block to see my dad laying in the holding cage. Leaning against the cage door I cross my arms over my chest. Watching him lay with his eyes closed I clear my throat "What" he groans keeping his eyes closed. "I haven't really talked to you since ya got here so I was wondering if yo-" "Why don't ya go hang out with your buddy rick." He drawls mockingly turning his head looking at me.

Sucking a breath in my eyes fall to the floor "Dad" "No lucille" merle sits up resting his metal covered arm on his knee. "If you want to run off and screw the sheriff everytime he calls and leave your family behind" merle seeths slamming his hand on the metal bed. Jumping from his sudden actions more than the loud bang echoing the room. Staring with wide eyes I back away from the doorway "Mal" he breathes out taking a step forward. "No don't, I'm sorry" I say holding my hands up before turning around and walking back to the cells.

"Rhee"  glenn stops at the sound of my voice quickly turning around to face me "Yea what's up" he simply replies putting his  hand on his belt. Coming to a stop In from of him I cross my arms "Who's on watch" I ask biting the inside of my cheek "Um rick I think, why." He answers huffing out the why "I was gonna see if I can switch." I explain "You can try he's on tower one" glenn adds nodding I turn around and jog outside feeling the sharp chill from the onset of winter. Running across the yard I stop at the gate looking up at rick with the gun raised "Rick" I yell pulling his attention away from the trees.

Putting his rifle down he walks to the railing and looks down "Wanna break I can take watch." I yell again pulling my jacket tighter he glances back at the treeline again before looking back down "I'm good." He answers his voice wavering in the cold "Alright be careful" I mumble walking away towards the door. Sighing I slide the sqeaky door shut "Mal can you help me with her I wanna make everyone somethin to eat." Beth walks up with a squirming bundle of baby in her arms "Yea no problem" I answer with a small smile taking judith out of her hands.

Walking back to my cell I put the new bottle to her mouth she quickly takes it "That's what you wanted huh sweetie." I coo at the swaddled baby eating in my arms; sitting on the side of my bed I slowly scoot myself to the wall. My back arches coming in contact with the cold concrete "jeez that's cold." Slowly putting my back on the wall I lay my head against it softly humming a random song. Hearing judiths whines I pull the empty bottle away from her laying it on the bed before picking her up and patting her back. I groan when my arms become numb from holding her and waiting for her to burp.

"Are you gonna burp anytime soon child" I add letting another groan from my throat. Scooting out I stand up and  pace around the small cell bouncing her up and down. "Your doing it wrong" turning around carl stands in the door way "What" I say exasperated with the situation. Stepping forward carl holds out his arms understanding the silent gesture I happily hand him judith shaking my arms at my sides trying to get the pens and needles to go away. "You gotta do it like this" carl says standing to the side and slowly patting her back showing me.

"Okay" I say stepping back "Show me how that is different than my way" crossing my arms over my chest he readjusts the baby before patting her back like he showed me getting a big burp out of her in a few minutes. Opening my mouth a few times carl chuckles "It's gotta be the left side I thought you would of known that" carl smiles cockily. Uncrossing my arms I sit on the bed "I do I just you know, forgot" I mumble the last word laying down across the bed. Carls laugh makes me sit up "What's so funny" I question leaning back on my hands.

"I was just remembering that time you fell in that water puddle last year and didn't bother getting up so you just layed there telling everyone “this is my life now.“ I laugh remembering that day "Yea and I was wet for like two days it's not that funny" I whine covering my mouth with my hand continueing to laugh. After a few minutes are laughing dies down to giggles. Carl sits down laying judith on space behind us.

Looking back at the floor he sighs "That's why we need to win" I look over the side of his face "What" I ask. Turning his head he looks at me before looking back at judith "We need to win so we can have those memories so we can make more." His eyes gloss over with tears making the blue become more apparent "Carl we will win I know it, we have survived hell and as long as we all have each other no one will break us." I assure putting my hand on the back of his neck rubbing small circles on his skin.

Pulling away I look back at the now sleeping judith "Lets get her to bed and see if beth is done making lunch" speaking softly I stand up and gently pick up the sleeping baby cradling her in my arms. "Can you grab the bottle" I ask carl who gives me a small nod before picking up the pink plastic bottle. Walking out of the cell we make our way down the steps before walking to the block. Putting the sleeping judith in her pack and play I look up at michonne eating with her back facing me.

Walking over I sit down across from her "We never really got a chance to talk, I'm malice" I say leaning my head into my hand "I know." She mumbles laying her spork in the bowl "And I also know you think rick and I have a thing for each other" michonne says laying her arms on the table. Pulling my head away I clear my throat "Well your gorgeous and I have insecurities" I simply say biting the inside of my cheek and picking at the skin on my thumb. Sighing she pulls a small plastic bag out of her pocket and throws it on the table "Thanks but I don't see a reason for getting in-between relationships." Pulling out a piece of jerky she throws it at me, quickly catching it.

She stands up taking a bite from a piece of jerky "Besides your to pretty" I grin at her words taking a bite out of my jerky. "Michonne, I really hope we become friends" My words come out mumbled with the jerky in my mouth but she nods before walking away.

🍭I know it's short but the next chapter is gonna be a little longer and heavier along with the final chapters of this book thank you for reading have an awesome day/night stay safe🍭