Chapter 39

Rick walks in the room his boots echoing off the walls he looks around before stopping in the middle "daryl hershel can we talk." He quickly says nodding his head towards the door. I stand up catching his attention "Not you I need you here" rick says firmly. My arms cross in front of my chest as I take a step forward "Why" I ask simply not breaking eye contact. Ricks thumbs hook onto his belt while cocking his head to the side "Because I think this is something you don't need to be involved in yet" he explains.

"Yes sir" I say softly a small smirk playing on his lips, taking a step back I sit down and continue eating while the three men leave the building. The rest of the group go outside to help with keeping the governor at bay. "What was that about" looking up at carol with a smile on her face she looks around the now empty room. Clearing my throat I bite the inside of my cheek to keep the grin from forming "Just talking" I murmur my eyes focusing on my hands.

"Me and you are just talking you and him were flirting" she says before walking away to a crying judith. The door opens and my head snaps to rick walking in. "You seen merle" he asks and I look around before pointing to the cells "Might be in there still" I say eyeing rick suspiciously. He nods beginning to walk I hurriedly stand up and move infront of him "Why your not kicking him out are you" I ask worriedly. Not breaking eye contact rick bites his lip "No just gotta talk to him" he says his voice cracking slightly, clearing his throat he walks past me leaving me in my anxiety.

***************RICKS POV*********** Walking into the cell block my brows draw together in confusion as I look at white and green mattress pieces lay strewn out on the floor. Looking in the cells I sigh when there's torn up mattresses scattered in the small spaces. Seeing a piece of mattress land on the floor I continue walking foward towards the steps. Slowly walking up the steps the sound of cloth ripping and metal hitting concrete gets louder.

Looking at the cells I see merle leaning over ripping a mattress with his knife. Stopping on the stairs I catch his attention his chest rising and falling quickly "looking for a little vacation best dope I ever has was in a mattress" he explains breathlessly tearing off another piece. "Nothin" he huffs before sitting down and leaning against the wall "This place must have been no fun at all" "We need your help" I cut him off making him laugh.

Continuing up the steps I walk  quickly, getting to the doorway leaning against it "Do you even know why you do the things you do" I ask biting the inside of my lip. "The choices you make" I add looking at the silent man on the floor. Moving away from the doorway I look at the bright large windows thinking of what I want to say. Taking a breath I turn around putting my arm on the metal door frame "If we give the governor michonne, woodbury stands down" I ensure. Merle stands up "I don't like it but it's what needs to be done, we need to make it quiet we need your help with that" I explain.

"You ain't told any of the others huh ain't told malice" he says looking at me before looking down. "Just hershel daryl and you, malice doesn't need to know" I state making him chuckle "The inner circle I'm honored" he huffs. Putting my hand on my belt I shift my weight "You know when we'd go out on runs he'd bash someones skull, slash somebody's throat and say never waste the bullets and I always thought it was just an excuse." Merle stops talking and looks up "You go on give him that girl he ain't gonna kill her you know, he's just gonna do things to her. Probably take out one of her eyes both of them most likely you'd let that happen for a shot" He says sharply and I sigh taking a step back.

He huffs again "Your cold as ice officer friendly. Your gonna need wire not rope wire nothin she could chew through. Wanna know somethin your right I don't know why I do the things I do never did I'm a damn mystery to me." Clearing his throat he shifts his feet "Malice always could though, could always figure out what kind of person they are before they did. But she can't figure you out rick I can see it when she looks at you, your a mystery to her."He moves closer his face eluminated by the sun "But I know you rick yea I thought a lot about you, you ain't got the spine for it and you don't what malice to know because she'll object to the idea. Love is a dangerous game rick don't let it hurt my daughter" merle snarls and I step back from his words "We need to get her to the governor by noon" I growl before walking off.