Chapter 18

Waking up covered in sweat is not a pleasant feeling, getting up from the bed I moan from the pain. Walking down the hall I check on carl, a smile instantly gracing my lips as I watch him sleep and away from death. I hear an engine outside causing me to walk outside from curiosity. A grin plasters itself on my face when I see the rest of the group and my uncle. Jumping off the porch I run to daryl jumping on him and wrapping my arms around him. "I missed you" pushing me away he looks at all my open skin. Knowing what he's looking for I lift up my shirt enough to show him the bloody bandage.

"Can I" nodding my head daryl pulls the bandage away from the wound, his jaw ticking. I put my hand on his arm. "I'm fine carl was the one that about died." Putting the bandage back he walks back to his bike getting his bow. "What happened" dale asks "Hunting accident that's all just a stupid accident" Rick responds with a slight chuckle. Walking over to a few trees away from the house I stay glued to daryls side as people start piling rocks. "Blessed be god, father thy lord jesus christ praise be to him with the gift of our brother otis for his span of years for his abundance of character otis who gave his life to save a child's now more than ever our most precious asset we thank you God for the peace he enjoys I'm your embrace be died as he lived, in grace....shane will you speak for otis."

Daryl puts his arm around my shoulders "I'm not good at it, I'm sorry." Shane breathed out "You were the last one with him you shared his final moments, please I need to hear I need to know his death had meaning." Patricia desperately asked " We were about done almost out of ammo we were down to pistols by then I was limpin it was bad ankle all swollen up, we gotta save the boy see that's what he said he gave me his backpack he sent me ahead run he said said I'll take the rear I'll cover you and when I look back." Shane replys calmly almost to calm

He starts limping towards the rock pile "If not for otis" he picks up a rock from the barrel. "I'd never made it out alive and that goes for carl to cause otis.......he saved us both, if any death ever had meaning it was his." He turns around putting the rock on the pile. I start walking towards the rv,
"Mal" turning around I see glenn waving me over. "Yea" he puts his hands behind his back "Close your eyes" I roll my eyes my squeezing them shut "If you scare me Rhee I'm not gonna let you sleep peacefully" he chuckles at my threat "Give me your hand." I give him he right hand and I feel something slide over my pinky.

"Okay open them" I open my eyes and look down. "Happy birthday mal" eyes wide I start jumping unable to get anything out. "Oh my God I love it." I hug him while continuing to jump. "You remembered when did you get this" he scratches the back of his head "I uh got it back in atlanta i thought an arrow would suit you."
He states while I continue looking at the beautiful ring. "I'm not gonna lie I am completely in love with it, thank you." I give him another hug, pulling away when I see maggie walk over to us. Smiling I pat glenn on the shoulder "Have fun." He looks at me confused before seeing maggie standing beside him.

I jog over to daryl "What was that about." I smile "oh nothing just a birthday present." He pulls a brown bracelet out of his pocket. "Did you make this" he nods his head "Carol helped to." I hug him "it's beautiful thank you uncle daryl" hugging me back for a slipt second then he walks off. I put on the bracelet smiling and walk back to the group. Walking past lori and standing in front of glenn. "So maggie's cute" he looks around and starts stuttering. "Relax I think she's into you to, she's just more subtle about." Dale and T-dog walk over "We got a problem."

Walking with them to the well we look down to a bloated walker. "Looks like we got us a swimmer." I giggle at dales comment. Everybody looks over at me I clear my throat and try to put on a face of seriousness. "How long do you think it's been down there" glenn asks. "Long enough to grow gills" andrea joked "We can't leave it in there god knows what it's doing to the water." Lori states "How we gonna get it out" shane questioned "Easy put a bullet in it's head I'll get a rope." T-dog responded "Woah woah guys no."