Chapter 23

Rick puts his gun in his holster "holy shit" Glenn walks up beside rick and I "You good glenn" he doesn't look at me but breaths out a yea. I put my arm around his shoulders attempting to comfort him. Rick asks hershel if he's alright "Let's head back" glenn turns around and walks behind the bar to get daves gun.  I'm walking next to rick I feel a hand on my back before I hear his voice. "Car car get down" rick leans against the wall next to the door and I'm kneeling in-between his legs facing him. "Well this is awkward" I bite my lower lip to keep myself from laughing. A car stops and we hear people walking around "Dave, tony."

Ricks eyes are fixated on the lip between my teeth 'I'm gonna have to ask him about that.' I snap out of it when I hear walking on the little deck outside and people calling for Dave and tony. I put my hand on his knee so I can move my legs just incase I have to run away. Rick nods his head towards the window next to us, I lean forward and lift the curtain a little bit. I lean back and shake my head he stands up and looks out the same window just higher. He crawls to glenn and hershel pulling me with him "Why won't they leave" glenn asks clearly stressed out about the situation "Would you" Hershel asks glenn.

"We can't sit here any longer let's head out the back and make a run to the car." Rick suggests we nod our heads and turn to walk to the back. We put our backs against the wall again when we hear gun shots. Rick is in front of me this time we're both squated down. "We're looking for dave and tony and nobody checks the damn bar" hearing footsteps get closer we raise our guns. The door opens and glenn throws himself in front of it shutting the door completely.
"Someone pushed that shut there's someone in there, yo someone in there. Yo if someone's in there we don't want no trouble were just looking for our friends" The unknown male calls out before mumbling "We don't want any trouble we're just looking for our friends if something happened tell us this place is crawling with corpses if you'd help us not get killed I'd appreciate it." The man says and I look at rick and shake my head trying to tell him do not talk.

They're mumbling and I put my finger up to my lips. "They drew on us" I give him a 'if we weren't in an apocalypse and probably in danger right now I would so shoot you in the foot look' or a really look, either one works for me. "Dave and tony in there they alive" the mystery man asks. Before rick has a chance to say anything I respond. "No" they start arguing "I'm not gonna go tell him dave and tony got killed by some assholes in a bar." "Hey asshole one and asshole two drew on us they left no room for rational reasoning and besides, I think we don't need to lose more people, let's just call it a really bad date and go h-." Before I could finish they start shooting.

Rick stands up and shoots back at them "Get out of here go" he screams. I stand up and shoot through a different window. I sit under the window and see blood on my arm where a piece of glass made a small cut I huff "Well thats just rude"Rick looks at the small cut and looks back over to glenn and hershel. Rick unloads his gun and puts the shells in his pocket before putting in the new ones. "Hey we all know this is not gonna ent well, there's nothing in it for any of us you guys just back off no one else get hurt" rick bellows. We hear a crash in the back I raise my gun and rick nods his head for glenn to check it out.

He runs back there and I sit up anxiety filling me, my heart races when I hear a gun shot and glass shattering. "Rhee talk to me" I yell rushing over with rick behind me "I'm alright I'm alright" he calls out. I let out a breath and take a deep breath at the same time. I'm standing In front if rick and hershel "We'll hold them here you cover glenn see if he can make it to your car tell him, tell him to pull up back we'll make a run for it and get the hell out of here" Rick tells hershel the long way. "You want me to cover glenn" I smile keeping my eyes on the door "You missed all that gun training coulda come in handy now" I can't tell if he was joking or being serious "I can shoot I just don't like to" hershel walks off and I can't hold my giggle back. Rick questions me with his eyes "He summed up your essay with six words" He smirks but rolls his eyes I bite my lip again as the anxiety builds back up. He looks at my lips again this time I question him with my eyes which probably looked like one of those squishy things with the poppy eyes.

"It annoys me" I glance at him before turning my eyes back to the front, "What" he nods to my lips "You biting your lip it leaves marks it's kinda h- kinda bad for your lips." I draw my brows together in confusion but shrug it off. Our heads whip towards the back when we hear gunshots, I don't hesitate as I run back there and see glenns feet behind a dumpster. "Glenn" I run over to him and look him over to find any blood "I'm fine lu I'm fine" I sigh and lean against the dumpster. "You hit" I give rick a thumbs down and move over to give him room "It's alright cars right there we're almost home, you good" rick looks around "Let's go" there's gun shots and I get pushed back by rick onto glenn. I'm practically straddling him "This is weird" I push myself off and glare at the back of ricks head.

We look up to see a boy on the pharmacys roof when a car pulls up. "Lets get outta here there's roamers all over the place, let's get outta here" The unknown driver yells to mystery kid "What about shawn." The boy screams back "They shot him we gotta go the roamers are everywhere" he repeats, I look over to hershel "We're leaving."  I laugh at how stupid this kid is 'he said it like a million times dumbass.' the kid jumps on the roof next to it and rolls off then there's a scream. He calls for help but the driver screeches away "Get hershel" rick runs away so I follow. "How are we gonna do this" he shakes his head and hands me the rifle.

Hershel and glenn run up to us "Rick malice we have to go now" The boy starts begging. hershel turns to the boy "I'm sorry son we have to go" He pleads "We have to go." I step up behind rick "We can't go he's just a boy" glenn points at him "He was just shooting at us" I block out the argument and go up to his head trying to calm him down the best I can givin the fact I'm a dixon and the situation so I'm probably not really helping.
He starts begging about not cutting his leg off 'Hmph maybe I should start paying attention' hershel ties his shirt around the boys leg and rick comes up beside me and covers the screaming boys mouth. "Fucking hell, rick" I yell begining to shoot the walkers that are flowing into the alley.

Rick and I stand side by side shooting the walkers "We have to go" rick bellows pulling the boys leg off the fence. Rick and glenn take the unconscious boy off the dumpster. I run to the car shooting at walkers, I get into the passenger seat and glenn starts the car so we can roll up the windows. I get in the back seat helping rick with the boy, glenn and hershel getting up front, the walkers quickly surrounding the car.

Ripping the boys shirt I tie it around his eyes, my hands begin to shake as the memories of the cdc circle my mind. I pull away from the boy leaning against the door, feeling the walkers bang against the window. My breathing becomes rapid "Mal hey, lucille" rick blocks my view of the boy "What's wrong with her" glenn asks "Panic attack" he answers trying to pull my eyes away. "From what" glenn questions but rick doesn't respond, pulling me closer her he forces my head on his chest. His rapid heart beat echoing in my head "You're safe, I got you your safe" he repeats lowly, turning around he sits back my body curling beside him. "She's not calming down" rick says after a couple of minutes,"Try running your hand through her hair" glenn suggests. Rick combs my hair with his finger slowly calming me and lulling me to sleep.

We pull up to the farm and everyone is hugging each other I hesitate to get out. I get out and daryl engulfs me in a hug "I'm glad ya alright" He mumbles pulling away. Turning around carl runs up to me yelling my name "Malice" I bend down and give him a hug "I missed you mal" he whispers. I smile and hug him tighter "I missed you more buddy." I stand up when t-dog asks who's in the car "Oh that's-" "Randall" rick finishes. I nod my head before walking to the house to get me some water, hearing the group enter I walk to the living room.

"We couldn't just left him behind he would've bled out, if he lived that long." Rick explains as I lean against the door frame. He looks over to me and we gaze at each other for a few seconds before he smiles and looks back to the group. Daryl walks in and leans against the wall beside the door "It's gotten bad in town" I notice how glenns refusing to look at maggie.

I tune out the rest of the situation and walk outside, sitting on the porch steps I play with my fingers. I jump when the door slams open and shane jogs by me. Glenn walks by me and I stop him "Glenn can I talk to you for a second" He sighs before nodding and sitting down. "It's about you and maggie, it's alright that you hid okay but you need to train yourself to be the man everybody needs, and still be alive for the ones you love. And if hiding is how you do both, that's what needs to be done." I put my hand on his shoulder and give him a quick hug before he gets up and walks off.