Chapter 7

Daryls voice pulls me out of my space "He better be okay that's my only word on the matter." I sit up and stretch groaning when my back pops "I told you, the geeks can't get at him, only thing that's going to get through that door is us." T-dog assures I move to get on my knees and hold on to ricks seat as glenn puts the truck in park. "We walk from here" I look over at him he gives me a sorry look before getting out, I follow rick out of the passenger side. "Thank you" he nods his head, the five of us jog up to the gate and slip through a hole glenn cut out. "Merle first or guns" rick asks I grab my bat in the middle so I don't run it into anything "Dad first obviously, we are not have this conversation" rick turns to me walking backwards "We are, alright" he says turning back to glenn. "You know the geography it's your call" we start running again "Merle's closest the guns would mean doubling back, merle first."

Walking into a department store I have my bat raised just in case. Rick puts his hand up and looks back at daryl signaling with his finger toward a walker. Daryl walks up to to her and points the bow "Damn you are one ugly skank" she starts to gurgle and walk faster to get to him. He pulls the trigger the bolt going through her head. Pulling out the arrow I start giggling "What's so funny" he huffs I shake my head with a smile on my face "I don't think she liked what you said." Daryl just rolls his eyes as we continue walking, we jog up stairs and reach the door T-dog breaks the lock and pulls the chain off daryl kicks open the door and runs out. "Merle" "Dad" we yell together, I stop on the bridge seeing a hand. Everything goes numb, my eyes clouding over with tears "No please no" I beg the ringing getting to loud. When I cry louder someone covers my mouth and pulls me into them.

"Shhh" I grab a hold of their arm as they lower me to the metal, I grab the wrist of the person covering my mouth. I sqeeze my eyes shut taking deep breaths through my nose, letting the tears fall. I pull the hand away from my face, keeping a hold onto the wrist I wipe my tears off his hand. The arm moves wrapping around my ribs, pulling me up "I'm sorry" they say lowly releasing my torso. Turning around I look at ricks guilt-ridden face, turning away I walk down the couple steps and hug daryl. His arms wrap around my neck my face laying in his shoulder. I pull away still sniffling and sit on the steps, rick and T-dog step past me looking at my dad's severed hand. Daryl points his bow at T-dog and rick aims his gun at his head pulling back the hammer.  "I won't hesitate, I don't care if every walker in the city hears it."

I stand up stepping closer to the men, daryl blinks tears away and lowers the bow and t-dog lets out a breath he was holding. "You gotta, got a do-rag or somethin" daryl asks and t-dog hands daryl a blue handkerchief. Turning around he puts down his bow down and walks over to my dads hand. "I guess the uh saw blade was to dull for the handcuff, ain't that a bitch." he exclaims picking up the hand. I step forward as he was folding the handkerchief my hand wringing together "How could he cut his hand off, with the pain" I ask.

"Cocaine" I look behind me at rick "What" I ask not believing him "He was on cocaine I took some from him yesterday." He explains I look at daryl a new coat of tears in my eyes "You said he wasn't back on anything, you lied to me, you lied to me again." I fume feeling betrayed by both my uncle and dad. Daryl stands up walking towards me "I had to if ya woulda known earlier you probably would a went on a mad hike and somethin might of happened, we didn't want to risk you gettin hurt." I put my hand up, running it through my hair "I need time to think and process."

He nods his head and picks up dads hand putting it into glenns bag. He gives one last glance at me and turns around picking up his bow. "He must of used a tourniquet, there'd be much more blood if he didn't." We followed the blood trail to a door on the other side of the roof "Merle you in here" daryl calls.walking down the steps I hold onto glenn making sure I don't trip. I follow daryl into an office shooting a walker, getting back together with rick and the others. We walk down a hall to a room with two dead walkers "He had enough in em to take out these two sons of a bitches, one handed" I took a step back with glenn, our hands reconnecting. "Toughest asshole I ever met my brother, you could feed him a hammer he'd crap out nails."

"Any man could pass out from blood loss, no matter how tough he is." I walk around the dead walker  glenn squeezing my hand reassuriny. "Merle" daryl calls again, I roll my eyes at how foolish he can be sometimes "We're not alone here remember" rick reminds him. "Screw that he could be bleeding out, you said so yourself" daryl argues. We walk into a kitchen I notice the small flames on the stove "Of course he did that" I murmer glenn looking over at me in confusion. I shake my head, he looks over at rick  "What's that burned stuff" I squeeze Glenn's hand tighter knowing what he is going to say. "Skin, he cauterized the stump"rick answers.

Glenn looks like he's going to be sick I remove my hand from his and rub his back. "Told ya he's tough, ain't nobody kill merle but merle" Glenn looks over at me I just continue looking at rick. "Don't take that on faith, he's lost a lot of blood." "Yea, didn't stop em from bustin out if this death trap." I rush over to the daryl noticing the window, poking my head through I notice the bloody rag "Why does he make things so damn difficult" I grumble pulling my head back in. Daryl shakes his head "He left the building, why the hell would he do that." I back up feeling crowded "Why wouldn't he, he's out there alone as far as he knows, it's his only idea, survivin." Daryl walks away "You call that surviving just wondering the streets maybe passing out, what are his odds out there." T-dog contends "No worse than getting handcuffed and left to rot by you sorry pricks."

Daryl turns to rick "You couldn't kill em, I ain't so worried about some dumb dead bastard." I rub my forehead. "What about a thousand dumb dead bastards, different story." Take a tally, do what you want Imma go get em." Daryl tries to walk past rick. "Daryl, wait" rick pushes him backwards "Get  your hands off me, you can't stop me" daryl bellows getting in ricks face."I don't blame you, he's family I get that, I went through hell to find mine, I know exactly how you feel, he can't get far with that injury we could help you check a few blocks around but only if we keep a level head." Rick says  "I can do that"daryl compromises.