Augustus Waters Never Lit His

"He's coming back to get me," I murmur as I pace back and forth. "He's coming back to get me."

I look up from the spot in which I'm standing to see the road is still vacant. There isn't a single person walking or even driving nearby. Yet, I still have hope that any minute my dad will show up and rescue me.

The phone in my hand says it's been twenty minutes since he left, and I'm not sure how much longer I will have to wait until he comes back, so I plopped down on the curb and made myself comfortable.

"He'll come back, right?" I raised my brows. "Probably not."

I smacked my forehead. "Of course he will come back - I'm his daughter!"

"Care to explain why you're still outside, crazy girl?"

"What the heck?" I smacked my hand on the pavement while clutching my chest with the other. "You scared the living daylights out of me!"

Under the dim light, Kinnick stood, leaning against the brick wall, staring at me with amusement. His black duffle-bag is slung over his shoulder. Instead of the sleeveless hoodie and cloth shorts, he wore during previous hours, he's now supporting an Iowa Hawkeyes long-sleeve and a pair of black joggers. Needless to say, he looks flawless.

"When someone asks you a question, you're supposed to answer," he stared at me with hard eyes. "Did your dad forget you?"

"No," my voice raised in pitch. "I wanted to walk. You know, to get a head start on this whole fitness thing."

"What are you waiting for?"

"Everyone to go to sleep so I can make it safely."

"Magnificent idea," he rolled his eyes. "I can give you a ride."

"You don't exactly have a safe place sticker on your forehead," I reminded him as if he didn't already know. "So, I am going to pass. I'm almost one-hundred percent sure I am more safe walking."

"I won't let anything happen to you."

That's what Warren said.

"What makes you think I'd want a ride after what happened between you and my dad?"

"I did what he asked," he rolled his eyes. "How does that make me the bad guy? I'm not the one who left my daughter on the side of the road. I'm the guy asking the stranded girl if she wants to make it home safely."

"Could you leave me alone?"

"Listen, lady, I'm trying to do you a favor."

"My new boxing skills will protect me," I huffed.

"Then you're fucked," he snorts. "You're clumsy. You have a problem with keeping your arms up, and you can barely throw a punch to save your life."

"The bag moved,"

"It weighed fifty pounds," he deadpanned.

"Well, my dad's a police officer. He'll save me."

"He's the same reason you have a target on your back," he snatched my bag from the ground.

My shoes scuffed the sidewalk as I hurried to my feet. "Hey, give that back!"

"Get in," he opened the driver's door on the truck.

"You're a stranger."

"What are you? Five?"

"No, I'm smart," I place my hands on my hips. "I'm sorry, but I barely know you. And the little I do know about you, makes me think you're the person I should be avoiding on my walk home."