Kissing Her Feels Otherworldly And I Fucking Loved Every Bit Of It

It didn't take long for her clothes to dry. Once they did, she was asking me to take her home. I didn't want her to leave, but she didn't know what time her dad would be coming home.

Yet, here we are, stepping out into the cold. Her teeth chattered the second we left my apartment. It's the reason why I started my truck when she made me aware she wanted to leave. I opened the passenger door for her. A smile grew on her face when a gust of heat hit our faces.

"It's already warmed up."

"Yeah," I cleared my throat. "I wanted to make sure you were warm."

She looked up at me. "Thank you!"

I chuckled at her and how the slightest things make her happy. Bo wasn't hard to please. It seemed like she wasn't used to small affectionate gestures. It bothered me that no one treated her the way she deserved to be treated. This is ironic for me to say, considering I didn't like her when I first met her. I had my reasons but they had nothing to do with her.

She didn't speak much on the drive to her house. Which was odd for someone who always has something to say. I rested my hand over her thigh, making her head turn to me with surprise. My fingers drummed to the music playing through the speakers.

Whenever I'd glance at her, she would be busy looking at the trees we passed by on the way. I glanced at her a few times but she never turned to look at me again. When we pulled in front of her house, I eased on the brake before putting the truck in park.

"What time does your dad get home?"

"Seven," she peers over at me. "Do you, maybe, want to come in?"

The look on her face told me she didn't want to be alone. She did well at hiding her feelings behind a fake smile. I killed the power to my truck and stepped out. I would be lying if I said I didn't notice the way she curled her toes and clenched her fists.

"You have a garden?"

"Yeah," she glances at the privacy fence. "Do you want to go back there?"

She told me this where she would spend most of her time. When I asked why she said this is where her mom spent hers. Enclosed by a shiny brown fence, she and her mother planted thousands of flowers. They started to die, as most flowers do when the cold weather hits. She said she wouldn't know what to do when Spring came. Her dad didn't want to continue paying the guy they hired to take care of them.

Under a canopy, on an elevated platform, a bed-like swing hung from the ceiling. Bo explained her mom bought her a daybed as a child and waited years for her to grow out of it. She didn't waste any time painting it when Bo finally did. Now it hangs outside as their porch-swing as her mom visioned.

"We have at least thirty bird feeders out here," she looked upon her large yard. "My dad used to make fun of my mom. He said it wouldn't take long until the state considered us a nature reserve center. She didn't mind it though - I think that's what she was going for."

An hour or so went by and the shyness slowly started to dissolve. All she wanted to talk about was the wonders of the world. She wanted to talk about today and what could happen tomorrow.

Her eyes stared off into the sky that slowly started to darken.

"What do you think is out there?"

"I think we already know the answer," I confessed. "In fear, however, we've kept it quiet."

"Everything in our world gets sugarcoated."

"Our Government is there to protect us," I add on. "If they tell us what we want to hear then they risk not having complete control." 

"It's quite ridiculous," she sighs.