Serving Up Homemade Baby Gravy

"You had a package sitting on your porch."

I looked up with a mouth full of jelly-toast. A novel was slammed onto my kitchen counter as a pair of pale blue eyes looked at me with amusement. Christina Stephens was staring at me as if I lost my mind as she examined the jelly smeared on my face.

"You are aware we have school, right?"

"Don't remind me," I roll my eyes.

She tossed her long caramel bob over her shoulder with her acrylic nails. I'm happy she stopped listening to her aunt, the beauty school drop-out who told her red is a good look. Chrissy wept in her bathroom for hours. She locked herself in there overnight, claiming she looked like a used tampon and wasn't coming out until the color rinsed out. She thought her five-year relationship was doomed.

After two sessions of thirty volume developer and bleach, her hair resembled Ramen Noodles. Her professional hair-stylist asked why she didn't use a color remover. It would have been less damaging on her hair. Chrissy's aunt didn't have an answer.

Chrissy spent over a hundred-dollars on high-end hair products and cut several inches off her hair. Then she cried again. She thought her world ended until Tyler, her boyfriend, told her how beautiful she was.

"It's going to be another boring year," I wiped my face with a random wash-cloth.

"Thank god I prayed every night, so we could get the same classes," she grinned, pulling out a piece of paper from her back pocket. "I mean, it's not like my dad is the Chancellor or anything but that's irrelevant. I'm a Christian lady at heart!"

"You have a tattoo that says, 'the Devil's female dog,' above your butt."

"Actually, it says the devil's bitch but I appreciate the good girl vibe you've got going on. It's very sexy," she winks. "I couldn't convince him to give us all of the same classes, but we share three!"

I shrugged, satsified by the idea. It was better than being alone. She slid into a seat at my kitchen island, flipping through the book she brought in earlier as she waited for me to finish my breakfast. I stared at the novel oddly, I don't remember purchasing one but that happens to me more often than I realize.

"When did you start taking gardening so seriously?" I lost my breath the second she sucked in hers. "How do you know Kinnick Carson?"

"Wait, how do you know him?" I questioned.

She slammed her hands down on the counter. "Spill the freaking beans, girl!"

I glance at the note written in the book. "Your house looks depressing. Hopefully, this helps. Sincerely, your Augustus Waters - Kinnick."

My lips formed into a smile. My Augustus Waters. I shake my head, lifting it to notice Chrissy is staring at me still, waiting for an answer.

"He's my boxing trainer, I guess."

"Holy shit, holy shit," she ran her fingers through her hair. "You know what this means?"

"No," I cock my brow.

"He wants to tear that ass up!"

"Chrissy!" I screech. "My dad could walk in any minute."

"Hey, sweetheart!" He walked through with his uniform on.

"Speak of the devil," Chrissy smirked. "What's up, Papa Bennett? Did you miss me?"

"Hello Chris," he pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. "It's always great to see you bright and early in the morning."