Don't Ask Questions You Already Know The Answer Too

I stood by his side - willingly. Not once did I see this happening, but here I am, walking with him into the courtroom where everyone awaited Warren's arrival. We pushed through the doors, and it didn't take my eyes long to fall on Kinnick. He sat in an orange jumpsuit with his wrists handcuffed together and a police officer on his side.

He was slumped in his seat until I walked in. His blue eyes fell on me. Then his whole demeanor changed. I watched the muscles in his body tense. The police officer pushed down on his shoulder, holding him in his spot. His body jerked beneath the strong hand holding him down.

Warren slipped a hand behind my back to rest on my waist, and my body weakened. I looked straight with tears in my eyes. He loved seeing Kinnick get all worked up. He loved knowing there wasn't a damn thing Kinnick could do about the hand on my back, and that's why he kept it there.

Instead of asking him again, I smacked his hand away. "Keep your hands to yourself. I won't hesitate to let him repeat his actions the second he is out of those cuffs."

Warren's eyes sparkled. "Listen, babe, I'll get on that stand right now and serve them the biggest sob story ever. Watch your fucking tone."

The judge called him to the stand. "Warren Mitchell."

I watched him get sworn in before he started speaking nothing but lies. "I want to retract the statement I made. It was, in fact, me who instigated the fight. I threw the first punch, and in self-defense, Kinnick made the next move. After throwing me through a window, I picked up a piece of glass, stabbing him, and the only way he was going to stop me is if he hit me."

Kinnick's lawyer fell back into his seat. No one was prepared for Warren's testimony. The judge stared at him with skepticism. He must have wondered if he was threatened, but that wasn't the case.

"Mr. Mitchell, you do understand you are under oath and can be prosecuted for lying?"

"I do," he cleared his throat. "I also want to admit to lying during my first statement. I have always hated Kinnick Carson, and when I saw him with my ex-girlfriend, it made me very upset."

"Understood. Mr. Mitchell, do you understand what happens if I drop these charges?"

Warren adjusted his tie. "Sir, with all due respect, I want the charges dropped."

I looked over at Kinnick to see him staring at Warren with his mouth opened. He was confused. The furrowed brow told me so. Then his eyes fell on me, and he put the pieces together. I was the reason he was going home. He wasn't spending two-years of his life in a cell because I made a deal.

The judge smacked the gavel. "Charges dismissed. Kinnick Carson, you are free to go. Next time you want to do this, don't waste my time."

Kinnick stood up with his lawyer, shaking his hand. Warren stepped off the stand, nodding at me. I joined his side, listening to my tattooed boxer call my name. Every part of my body ached to see him, but I couldn't.

"I should be an actor," Warren buttoned his suit. "Did you see the way I had that courtroom wrapped around my finger?"

"You're the reason I'm going to be a prosecutor."

He shrugged. "I'm honored."

"Don't be."

"I was thinking steak," he unlocked his car doors. "What do you think?"

I stared at the red car he used to drive in high school and all of the times he drove me during senior year. The laughter we shared. The countless times we went out for ice cream. Then I remembered what he did. My hands were shaking as they reached for the handle, and I wanted to back out, but Kinnick was calling my name again. I couldn't see him right now.