I Watched You Devour A Cheeseburger In The Cafeteria At School

As the rain clouds rolled over the Friday evening sky, drizzle began misting Kinnick's windshield. A blanket of fog settled over the road. Luckily enough, his brights shined through and gave us a passageway of light. He drove as if it didn't bother him while he kept a steady pace on the highway.

Shortly into our drive, he asked me if I wanted to stop by a diner to grab something to eat. He didn't want me going home on an empty stomach, but he left the idea up to me. There wasn't an ounce of pressure in his question.

I wasn't sure if he enjoyed my company, but if he didn't, he never said anything. I thought quite the opposite, though. He wouldn't have offered dinner if he didn't like me. I don't see him inviting Luke for brunch. With that being said, I'd like to say he enjoyed my company.

"What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?"

I let my gaze leave the road to look at him. "Would you invite Luke out for dinner?"

The sound of his fingers drumming against the steering wheel halted. I don't think he expected me to ask him that. Honestly, I wasn't sure why I did either. Other than me trying to see if he likes me - I could have easily asked if he did or not but I couldn't.

"Fuck no," he scoffs. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I'm trying to figure out if you like me or not."

I fiddled with my hands. I didn't understand why he was chuckling at what I said - I meant it. I like him and enjoy his company. All I wanted to know is if he enjoyed mine. My eyes dared to look at him in his humorous state.

"Of course I like you, Bo. I wouldn't have trained you or asked you out to dinner if I didn't."

"I guess so."

He placed his hand on my thigh. "Listen, you're different. Not many people I meet laugh or smile in my presence. You don't seem to fear me or want to know about my criminalistic past. You haven't shown an interest in wanting to fix me."

My brows twitched, wondering what he was getting at. Sure, I wondered about all of the things he did before I met him. I wanted to know why him and my dad didn't get along. What Kinnick did or continues to do has no effect on me waking up in the morning. It doesn't ruin my chance at happiness. At the end of the day, it's none of my business unless it deals with me, and it didn't.

"I don't think you're broken," I admit. "I think people have tried to fix you because they don't understand you."

"And do you?" He questions, clutching the steering wheel. "Understand me."

"Possibly."

"Here we are."

Neon signage was the first thing I noticed when we pulled into our parking stall. Strips of neon lights left the name of the diner, circling the building and lighting up the area with retro colors. I felt like on the road it was twenty-twenty-one, but in this spot, I felt like I was in the nineteen-sixties.

'Best Milkshakes in Town,' was posted in the window of the shop. Hmm, I guess we will have to see about that. Kinnick was already out of the car before I could unbuckle myself. My door flew open, revealing the blue-eyed boy.

"I'm paying, right? I won't get out until you agree."

"Over my dead body. Get your ass out of the truck."

When I crossed my arms, he raised his brows as if he was accepting my challenge. With quick movements, his hand reached over my waist, unfastening my seatbelt. Before I could process what was happening, he grabbed my calf and yanked me from my seat. I threw my arms around him, unsure if he was going to drop me or not.