You Didn't Tell Me They Were Roasting Marshmallows

Bo's hum filled the car. A song I didn't know, played through the speakers. Although she struggled to remember the lyrics, she sang along anyway. She rocked back and forth on the seat, swaying to the beat. It didn't matter to her we were sitting right there, she is in her own little world.

Instead of sitting in the passenger seat, I let her. Even though my knees were against my chest, she told me sitting in the backseat made her carsick. I don't know why I cared but in the past few hours, I learned someone roofied her at a party and I have no idea what happened after.

When she is with Luke she looks alert, but in the passenger seat of Miles's car, she looks at ease. Her small frame fits like a puzzle piece in his seat. She crossed her legs over one another and stretched the wine-red dress over her knees to assure no one saw her underwear. That's what she told us anyway.

"Kinnick saw my underwear," she blurted.

I dropped my head at her sudden exposure. "Bo, why?"

"It's true!"

"I know," I squeezed my eyes shut. "But the whole world doesn't have to know."

Her eyes slowly shifted to Miles. "We're best friends, right? I can tell you anything."

"Of course."

The movement of her head was slow as her devilish grin turned towards me. Her small tongue pushed through her plump lips. I rolled my eyes at her, even though the corners of my lips tugged up at her silliness.

"Drink this," I pushed a bottle of water towards her.

She shook her head. "I don't accept drinks from strangers."

"The seal hasn't been broken."

Her chestnut eyes squinted at the cap. "That doesn't mean anything."

"Bo -"

"I'm fine - I am not even drunk!"

"Drink the water."

"Who died and made you boss? Don't say my mom," she snickered. "That was dark. I shouldn't have said that."

Hurt flashed across her eyes, so I tried steering the conversation. "Can you please drink the water?"

"Ugh," she turned around to snatch the bottle out of my hand. "What's with your attitude?"

"I don't have -"

"Yes, you do," her brows furrowed. "You're demanding things from me!"

Miles stifled his laughter at her authoritative voice. "Bo, drink the damn water and stop being difficult."

"Is it damned water or holy water?" She read the label. "Oh, it's Fiji! My favorite!"

She gushed turning to Miles. "How did you know?"

"It's the best friend's job to know," he winked at her.

A toothy grin grew on her face. She scooted as close to him until her thigh hit the middle console. When she couldn't get any further, she placed her head on his shoulder.

I rolled my eyes again - not because I'm jealous because I'm certainly not - but she's loving on Miles and he's not the one who gave her the water. She drives me crazy. Every little thing about her makes my head spin.

Before we pulled to a stop, I could see the fire burning from the road. The sound of fire crackling broke the silence when he cut the engine. I threw the door open, letting out a deep breath at the ability to stretch.

I pulled Bo's door open and her little head popped up. "Oh, thank you!"

Her ability to be chirpy made me chuckle. I lent out my hand to help her out. She didn't hesitate to slap her hand onto mine. I watched her dress slide up her thighs as she kicked her legs over. Before I could see anything, she yanked it down.