I Didn't Tell Anyone About The Abuse Because I Thought It Was Normal

A/N - Thank you to Btmomogagi for the votes, and Bethiieboop for not only the votes but all of the commenting! And a special shoutout to Mack_D for voting like crazy! You are the sweetest! I appreciate all of your support - it means the world! Much love xx

The deep red crop top sweater she wore couldn't keep her warm. I saw the goosebumps on her stomach. The hairs rising on her skin shined in the dim light. It wasn't like bouncing back and forth on the balls of her feet didn't have her heart pounding. I saw the sweat piling up on her hairline.

She caught me staring. I sent her a wink whenever her eyes would catch me. Then I would continue staring because I didn't care. I haven't seen her since last week, and somehow she got more beautiful. Her dimples seemed deeper. Her smile seemed brighter. The ringlets falling from her head seemed shinier.

"Hey, I am out of here," John stepped out of his office. "Will you guys lock up when you're done?"

Bo leaned against the ropes. "Anything for you, John."

"It's always a pleasure seeing you, Miss. Bennett," he grinned. "Seth doesn't hear about this, okay?"

He wanted to confirm our answers before he walked off, leaving us alone. "I have to use the bathroom. I'll be back."

I walked away, listening to her hum the tune on the radio. In previous years, I walked this gym alone after hours. This would be the first time someone willingly stayed with me. I let the stillness swallow me along with my past. I became the person everyone thought I was. And although Bo seemed shaken up with what happened, she seemed to find comfort in my presence still.

When I slipped out of the bathroom, darkness consumed the gym. I didn't hesitate to hurry down the hallway. The adrenaline pumping through my veins told me something is wrong. And whatever happened, I have to get to Bo.

"Bo!"

Her stifling laughter soothed every ounce of tension in my muscles. I clutched my chest as it ached at the sudden deep breath I sucked in. I wouldn't have seen her if she wouldn't have poked her head around the pillar in the back of the room. She hurried to throw herself back into hiding.

"Ah man," I rolled my eyes. "Where could you possibly be?"

Her heavy breathing soared. The sound got louder. I could practically hear her heart beating. My body grew closer to the pillar I saw her head stick out of moments ago, but when I rounded the corner she wasn't there. That didn't mean I didn't see her running across the room to find a new hiding spot.

"I saw you," I doubled over in laughter. "Remind me to never bring you with me if I ever break in somewhere."

She snorted. I knew she was getting antsy. I knew her toes were curling, and she was biting her lip. Anything she could do to contain her excitement, she was doing it. That is the kind of girl Bo is. Her body grows weak when she laughs. All functioning bones in her body cease to move. I've caught her plenty of times because her legs won't move. I can't trust Bo to defend herself. All the intruder has to do is tell a joke and it's game over for the curly-haired girl. We're fucking doomed.

I found myself unable to contain my own laughter, and the butterflies lifting me off the ground. Whenever I'm around this girl, my fucking head is in the clouds. She is an angel, and I have no intentions of coming down unless she falls, but I'll be there to catch her. I will always be there to catch her.

The week I spent in jail was pure torture - not because the cops were dicks because they definitely were - but Bo wasn't there. She couldn't come to see me, and I don't know if I would allow her to. I don't know how she would have handled the way they treated me. She didn't need to see it, none of it. I wouldn't have been able to protect her if something happened outside of those four walls. I couldn't have lived with myself knowing I couldn't do anything.