Do You Enjoy Scaring People

The October drizzle came down from the clouds - coating the architecture, blacktop roads, and Evergreens with misty showers. Small droplets fell on top of my head as I walked under the pine trees, sending my hair into a frenzy as it frizzed. A blanket of fog settled over the town, and suddenly it felt like October.

I walked through the grass, feeling it sink as my boot slid in the mud. My hands played with the end of my green plaid skirt when I stepped foot on campus. Kids were in the parking lot, kicking up the gravel and splashing their friends with dirty puddles of rainwater.

Nothing stood out more than the group of men in their black clothing, standing in their usual cloud of smoke. My eyes noticed Miles first because they didn't find Kinnick. I wasn't aware of his attendance history, so if he skipped school often, I wasn't sure.

"Do you know where Kinnick is?" I clutched the paper bag in my hand.

Their eyes trailed over my outfit, but Miles was quick to speak. "He just walked into the building."

"Thank you," I gave him a small wave.

I heard their whispering voices when I walked away. I was too focused on finding Kinnick to pay attention to what they were saying. When I stepped through the doors, I saw the grumpy fighter walking down the hallway, alone.

The sound of my boots caught his attention. I reached into my paper bag, grabbing one of two blueberry muffins for him. His blue eyes darted down to the sweet treat in my hand.

"What is this?"

"I bought you a muffin,"

"Why?" He looks at it skeptically.

"Well, did you eat this morning?"

He went silent - giving me the answer. I shrugged with triumph as he snatched the muffin from my hand. While I munched on my own, we carried on walking down the hallway, not speaking but enjoying our breakfast.

"So, if you've been attending here this whole time," I bit into my blueberry muffin. "Why haven't I seen you? I didn't even know you went here."

"You never looked, and you never asked."

"Well, what am I supposed to ask a stranger? Is there any chance we go to the same school?"

"Yes," he cocked his brows in amusement. "That's exactly what you ask."

"You made me nervous."

"Is that so?" He shoved the rest of his muffin into his mouth.

"You know you do," I double-take to make sure he finished it off. "How did you eat that so fast?"

"I make many people nervous, Bo."

"Do you enjoy scaring people?" I looked at him with curiosity.

"I don't particularly hate it."

"Doesn't it make you feel bad?"

He rubbed his face, cursing. "No. Don't you have class?"

"Room B213 - Public Speaking," I point to the door in front of me.

"Lucky me," he murmurs, opening our classroom door.

I didn't trail far behind him as he sought out a seat. Just as he did in our previous class, he went straight towards the back. When I tripped over the stairs, I clutched his hoodie, almost taking him down in the process. He was able to not only catch himself but me also. The look he gave me made me proceed with caution.