49. The Quaint Little Town.

"You've got to be kidding me!"

"Did you know that kidding is also the act of a goat giving birth?" I lean into Torryn's side, before snickering at the furious-looking inspector. "So, no, Inspector, we are not kidding you." 

I smile innocently at the photo frame of Inspector Bryant and Mrs Bryant, pretending not to notice the red-faced man sitting on the other side of the table, glaring pointedly in my direction.

Santa should offer him Rudolph's job, my subconscious snickered and with enough lack of expressions that would make Torryn proud, I maintained a straight face.

"Wow, your face went so red. Quicker than Rhea's does when I catch her chatting with Brittany," Ethan mused. Then, smack. Rhea's hand, that had mom abilities of appearing out of nowhere and smacking your head senseless, had struck again. This time it's victim being Ethan.

I grimaced. I knew just how much Rhea's hand hurt. Well, Ethan did, too. After all, he'd been with us for more than a few months now.

"How many times have I told you—?" Rhea broke off glaring at Ethan before settling back in her seat as Mae handed her iced tea.

"Okay, young lady, as tempting as it is, do avoid from resorting to physical violence in my cabin," Inspector Bryant warned Rhea, having forgotten his anger for a moment. I snorted at him calling Rhea 'young lady'.

"And you," he immediately pointed at me and I leaned back in my seat at the seething expression on his face. "It's Monday. Monday, for God's sake! Why have you brought your gang of ruffians to my door?"

I gasped dramatically. "How dare you assume it was me who brought them here? I don't always plot and plan against you, you know?" I lied through my teeth. Well, at least about the last part. I was still planning my revenge on him for snitching to my parents about the time I brought a stray dog home and hid him in the Bryants' garage.

My subconscious nodded in approval. Snitches get stitches.

Everyone in the room snorted at my words but I only turned to glare at the person next to me.

That was a lie, Torryn shrugged defensively.

Oh, really? I narrowed my eyes.

He tilted his head with a smirk. You know it was.

"You two, stop flirting, and tell the Inspector why we're here," Matt raised an eyebrow in our direction.

"Matt, did you have to interrupt them? You have no manners," Ethan scolded.

"Agreed," Mae glared.

"I think we should get back to the the topic at hand," Mason mumbled.

Matt nodded in gratitude. "Thank y—"

"Shut up, Matthew, I'm still mad at you," Ethan sneered.

"Well, now that that's done, let's discuss what we're here to discuss," Owen reminded everyone.

"Yes, who is telling me why you are here?" Inspector Bryant's eyes glinted with annoyance as they flickered over the eight of us, stuffed into his cabin. "What more do you want from me? My job? My house? My soul?"

"The world," I answered with a calm smile. "But I'll get that on my own. As for why we're here, well, a few things happened on our date," I started, gesturing at Torryn.

"You two went on a date?" Inspector Bryant raised a bushy eyebrow.

"Yes," Ethan exclaimed. "Isn't that awesome?"