43. "This Is Not My Day."

"There is no evidence to prove that my friend was at the scene of crime. "

"This is not a court, Ms Miller, this is my office. Mr Wright, here, is known for his ridiculous pranks and this one seems to be his doing. And anyways, I don't think I have the time for this. I have a meeting with some very important people in a while. So, I'm going to have to ask you to make this quick."

"Well, since there has been a crime and we want to go about this the fair way, Mr Brown, this is a court now. I know that my client does not have a clear reputation," Mr Brown snorted at this but Ethan and I ignored it, "but there is no evidence that points to my client having released those rats in the laboratory." I maintained a poker face.

Ethan sat quietly beside me, trusting me to get him out of a possible In School Suspension.

"Well, Ms Miller, had your client studied for today's chemistry test?" 

"That is irrelevant to the case," I pointed out, even though he was asking the right questions. I wasn't going to let him win that easily.

Mr Brown pushed his glasses back onto his nose. "On the contrary, I think it is relevant to the case. Not having studied for the test would give Mr Wright a motive, don't you think? And what if I told you that there was evidence against your client? An eyewitness at that?" Mr Brown smirked in triumph.

Don't let this oldie win, my subconscious said with determination.

Ethan tensed up slightly beside me.

"Send Mr Thompson inside, " Mr Brown spoke into the telephone.

Of course, Walter Thompson was the eyewitness. He was just as much of an asshole as his girlfriend, Tracy.

I bit my lip in anticipation as the door opened and red-haired weasel entered, smirking.

The first thing that came out of Walter's mouth was, "Ethan did it."

I rolled my eyes.

Mr Brown looked pointedly at me. "I hope an eyewitness is sufficient to tie Mr Wright to the crime. Now, as your punishme—"

"Sir, but how can we trust Walter just like that?"

Walter smirked at Ethan's desperate tone, knowing whose side the dean would take.

I relaxed my breathing, telling myself to remain calm as my subconscious pushed Walter off of hypothetical cliffs. No one messed with my friends.

"What do you mean? I trust Mr Thompson and his word is enough for me," Mr Brown frowned at me.

I nodded. "Of course, sir, his word should be enough seeing that there were no cameras around." It was a pity that Mr Brown didn't notice the sarcasm in my voice but I didn't let that bring my spirits down. "I just have a few questions for Walter."

Mr Brown sighed wearily. "Ask away, Ms Miller."

"Thank you, sir," I nodded, hiding my smirk. "The thing is that Ethan and I are in the same chemistry class and I know for a fact that Walter is not a part of that class. So Walter," I turned to face the red-haired weasel, "what class did you have in the previous period?"

Walter's smirk faltered, clearly not expecting to remain in the office for more than a few seconds. "Uh, English Literature by Ms Diaz."

I raised an eye brow at him. "Isn't that class all the way over to the opposite side of the building? Not only that, it is not even on the same floor as the chemistry lab. So, Walter, what were you doing near the chemistry lab, that, may I also remind you Mr Brown, has an emergency exit door nearby?"