42. The Clutches of Trouble & Safety.

I'm thinking that's what Aria's looking like. Except for the heels!

"So you came after all."

"When Gran calls, you come."

I grimaced. I'd done it again.

A serious of extraordinarily clumsy events had led me in search of my clutch to the gardens. The one place Torryn had told me to avoid. But in my defence, the clutch had important stuff like handkerchief, chocolates and whatnots in it and I could still see the hall, which meant I could find my way back.

I had just knelt down to see if the shiny thing glinting in the bushes was my clutch when I heard a person approach the garden. Then another set of footsteps followed.

Well, their Gran sounds a lot like mine.

"Oh, hell yeah," I whispered, untangling my clutch from the bush. I was about to stand up and tell these two people that I had found my clutch and they could continue their conversation without my awesome presence when a name had me halting.

"True, but you've never been the one to care, Jason."

Ah, yes. Jason Queen.

All of us had been pretty surprised when we found out that the hot guy from the cafe was Jason Queen. I had almost given our surprise away when I said, "Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool. No doubt, no doubt, no doubt." But I'm sure Ellie and Jason didn't pick up on it.

It was also a little surprising to learn that Ellie was a Queen.

Please, my subconscious snorted, Ellie has always been a queen.

Shut u

Someone cleared their throat and I was dragged back to the present.

"What do you want, Selene?"

Ah, so that's why the voice sounded familiar.

Jason and Selene, (who was his aunt? Sister? Let's stop at relative), were talking in hushed tones, seemingly having a quiet argument. I realized I had two options; I could either appear from the bushes like a cute animal or stay quiet and maybe eavesdrop on their conversation.

I chose the latter. Obviously.

However, I could hear only snippets of their conversation, that too not very clearly. As a result, I had a few words from their discussion, such as, "just not done", " I hate yellow", "Gran loved her the most", "all your fault", and " powdered enchiladas".

They went silent for a moment before Jason ground out, "So you care now?"

Selene sighed. "Jason, you know very well what would've happened if Elektra had gone ahead with her plan. That deal..." She said something that I couldn't quite hear. "It would've destroyed so many lives," she whispered finally.

Jason let out an angry grunt. "I know that, but she was my sister."

"She was my sister, too." Selene's voice raised as a pair of footsteps that I assumed belonged to Jason, walked away angrily.

Selene only stayed a few moments before walking after her brother.

A few minutes later, when I was sure they were both gone, I rose from my place with my clutch, clutched to my chest.

What in the world—?

                       -×-×-×-×-×-

"Say," I smiled politely at the startled cook. "Do you know the way to the hall where the big party is going on?"