32. Red Cheeks Are In Trend.

"What are your plans for tonight?" Eric asked between taking people's orders.

"Escaping the world of procrastination and actually trying to complete the history assignment that is due in two days. Why?" I raised an eyebrow, lounging beside the counter. It was almost time for me to leave but I was waiting for a couple to finish.

"Well, I was thinking you could come with me to a party as my date," Eric smirked flirtatiously.

I had been working at Mad Batter for almost three weeks now and if there was one thing that I knew about Eric, it was that he liked to flirt. A lot.

"Huh," I gave him a lopsided smiled. "Thanks for the offer but I think I'd better get that assignment done," I nodded.

"Alright," he shrugged. "Hey, also, could you give this to Mr H? It was in the mail," He passed an envelope to me. "Please, I can't leave the counter," he added with a mediocre attempt at puppy eyes.

"I'll do it but please do work on your puppy eyes," I shook my head at him and snatched the envelope.

Whistling along to the tune of a song that had been stuck in my head since yesterday, I walked towards Mr Hatter's office at the back. I was about to knock on the door to his office but I tripped over my untied shoelaces. Stumbling around for a while, I managed to remain upright but the envelope slipped from my grasp and all the papers inside came tumbling out.

"Fuck," I whispered at the mess before me.

I huffed, crouching down to collect all the papers. They seemed to be important house papers and one name stood out to me.

Jason Queen.

Queen?

I frowned at the papers before me. I shook my head to clear it.

"Yes, of course, it's here," Mr Hatter's irritated voice travelled through the door. He seemed to be talking on the phone.

"And I know that. It's safe, I promise. No, the police are still looking for the people behind it. No, the pol— I think we both know who was behind the robbery, let's not kid ourselves," whoa, what? "And I will talk to you when we meet. This conversation is done. Goodbye." To say that Mr Hatter was displeased with the person on the other line would be an understatement because I could still hear him grumbling about someone being an "annoying little beast."

I raised my eyebrows, impressed at the person who had managed to piss off Mr Hatter.

The voice of Mr Hatter's footsteps inside his office reminded me of my task and I quickly reassembled the papers and put them back in the envelope. 

I knocked on his door.

"Come in," he answered in a considerably calm voice.

"Hey, Mr H," I greeted him and approached the desk behind which he sat.

"Aria," he greeted back, smiling as if he hadn't just been irritated beyond belief and called someone an "annoying little beast".

"Eric wanted me to give you this; said it was in the mail," I leaned over the table and passed him the envelope.

"It's open," Mr Hatter murmured in confusion.

I winced a little. "Yeah, that's on me," I gave him a sheepish grin. "I, uh, tripped over my laces and everything fell down. I'm sorry." I pouted at the— still untied—laces of my sneakers.

A loud chuckle made me look up from my sneakers.

"It's perfectly alright, girl," he waved me off, a soft smile gracing his face. I looked around the cozy office, instantly wanting to go to sleep while Mr Hatter went through the papers. Just for a second, an indescribable expression overtook his face before his usual cheerfulness returned, making me think that I had imagined it. "So?" He sighed, giving me a suggestive smile, "Your shift ends in a few minutes, I suppose your ride must be here," his voice took on a teasing tone.